Creation of CMSMS Project Groups

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Creation of CMSMS Project Groups

Post by Ted »

Hey all,

Basically, CMSMS has reached a level of populatiry that I really wasn't ready for.  I love it, and it challenges me every day.

However, I've reached sort of a limit of what I can do by myself.  Between ever increasing responsibilities at work, a wife and kid at home, and several side projects, I'm pretty much tapped.  I have to now force myself to delegate out tasks and projects to other trustworthy people in our little community here.

So, I'm announcing the creation of project groups.  Basically, I want to gather up people to handle different areas of our project here and take some of the responsibility off of me.

For now, I'm going to just have 2 important ones.  I have other ones in mind, but I'm not ready to start handing them out yet.

Core Development

Core Development is the heart of CMSMS.  This is where I feel that I belong and will always belong.  I'm a developer by trade, and it's what I love to do.  Right now, the core development group basically consists of SjG, WiseQ, Silmarillion and myself.  We all have commit access to svn and are free to modify any piece of code in the repository.

We try to run at least every change by at least one other person, unless it's very insignicant.  We all hang out on IRC daily, and have a good, almost family-like line of communication.  It's a great system, and makes the project very enjoyable to work on.

If other people are interested in joining the Core Development group, I'd be willing to hear them out.  I'm going to be somewhat guarded, but am interested in looking for other coding talent to help out.  The only things I ask are that you have a decent amount of coding experience, an ok command of the English language and willing to hang out on IRC.

Right now, we're handling our project management through Basecamp and anyone joining the group will be added.

The following projects are open still, and most will require a lot of communication and thought before tacking.

- User/Group Overhaul
- Multiple Language Content
- Search
- Automated Module Repository
- Multiple Sites For 1 Install
- Admin as a Module

If you're interested, please let me know.

Documentation Group

This is a dire necessity at this point.  I keep answering the same questions in the forum all the time, and it's only going to get worse as we get more popular.  The documentation group will be responsible for creating the inital User Handbook for CMSMS users and then move on to other important documentation for developers and module creation.

This HAS to be complete before CMSMS will turn 1.0.  I can't stress that enough.

The memebers of this group will have to settle on a technology to use for documentation (docbook, CMSMS itself, a wiki, whatever) and then dig in and write.  This group is open to anyone, though obviously having a decent amount of experience with CMSMS is a plus.

Major architectural decisions should be run by me, but except for that, you'll be free to do whatever you need to do.  I'll provide any resouces needed as best i can.

I'd like to get the Documentation group up and running ASAP.  We're already WAY behind in this aspect of the project and it needs a big jumpstart.  The more motivated you are, the better.

Anyway, in closing, I'm glad that we've reached this point.  Our little community has really grown in 15 months, and I love it.  If you're interested in jumping in and helping make it ever better, then please let me know.  I'm interested to see what people have to say, and what they can contribute.  And, i'll be announcing a few more groups and special positions very soon.

Thanks!
Ted (wishy)
Woudloper

Re: Creation of CMSMS Project Groups

Post by Woudloper »

Great to see that this point has been reached for 'CMS Made Simple'. Hopefully more people will and can join the core developers team. I am not so experienced in PHP development so I more on supporting the documentation team with writing documentation for 'CMS Made Simple' in order to get the point for release 1.0.
TNTH

Post by TNTH »

Great to see that the community grows so fast. It seems that many people see the cms as very valuable.

I myself am not a programmer (part-time designer at the moment), but I think my English (and Dutch for sure) are good enough to help with documenting the cms. My partner in business already made a simple guide in Dutch about how to use the basics of CMSMS. I could use some of it as a basic for the documentation.

Maybe (and it's just a thought) someone could try to encourage the programmers of modules to do their own documentation. Should save a hell lot of time for the total documentation of the cms.
petert
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by petert »

TNTH wrote: My partner in business already made a simple guide in Dutch about how to use the basics of CMSMS.
Will you make that guide available? (Ik zou het  goed kunnen gebruiken namelijk :)
Mambo sucks, that's why I am here.
Now they call it Joomla, but it still sucks!

CMSMS rules!
TNTH

Post by TNTH »

You can find it here.

It is written for version 0.9x, updated version should be available before november.
hafley

Post by hafley »

I'm up for any projects you would like to assign me, actually i was thinking.... i want to make an easy to use, advanced photo gallery module for cmsms and would love to include it in the modules list on the main site.
Jelmer

Post by Jelmer »

Hi,

I'm entirely new to CMSMS but I must say I'm very impressed with what I've seen! I was looking around for a simple but flexible CMS for a client that wants to mostly do his own maintenance after I've created the basics for him and I'm gonna test CMSMS this weekend to see how far I get.

But on to the reason I'm replying to this thread. I was looking into the Modules/Add-ons section which I will very likely need a couple of and there's a lot to go through. So I thought it might be useful to create a group or a moderator of some kind who keeps a list of all the modules/add-ons with production status and maybe reviews them. I know there's something like that in the Wiki but if there's someone who isn't doing his or her own thing he or she could probably keep a much more user-friendly list, with maybe a more categorized list with subpages or something like that. That would be very useful to new users like myself to see if all the functionality that isn't intergrated with the basic feature set available.

Regards, Jelmer
numer9

Post by numer9 »

Hey,
i got tones of work in my job, finishing my university and other stuff, but in every spare hour I'll try to help CMS MS team out. Got any documentation team members? Any list of to-do's and schedule? Maybe we should start the topic for where to put documentation?
westis

Post by westis »

Hi numer9,

Great that you are willing to contribute! There is currently a site at docs.cmsmadesimple.org where the documentation is supposed to be put. I've suggested that we also have a sub-forum to Documentation where all articles could be posted and proof-read before they are put on the docs site.

I'm currently trying to come up with a suggestion for a redesign of the CMS Made Simple site and I think it would be good if the docs site, as well as the forum, would fit into this layout.

I'm not part of the documentation team myself, but has offered to help with translation to Swedish and possibly also some articles, as it seems like the documentation process is going rather slowly. But I'm sure all contributions are welcome, if only we have a good structure for this. My suggestion for a good way of doing this is, as mentioned, to first post all atricles to a sub-forum under Documentation (so that everyone can see what atricles have been written) and then the documentation team puts them up on the docs site after let's say a week or so for proof-readiing in the forums.

There we could also have a thread with To-Do's, where people write what pages they are currently working on for the documentation.
numer9

Post by numer9 »

Yeah, i think it's a good idea. I think there should also be a single webpage that has the latest available "table of contents", so that users wouldn't have to search forum topics (since sometime at the beginning there is old list, then updated, but not everybody reaches the last page).

I think i can start thinking about it myself, if u think it's a good idea.

and what about this big redesign? you're talking about the graphics or the structure, too?

and I think that statring the separate thread for documentation is a good idea. Who's in the documentation team?

numer9

Post by numer9 »

Hey,
I just did some reading from the url u gave me. So i see the new doc structure and I'll switch to doc topic http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 692.0.html with next thoughts.

cyberman

Post by cyberman »

wishy wrote: The following projects are open still, and most will require a lot of communication and thought before tacking.

- Search

Please make a look at piratos.coftware.de - there's a download for a function called 'pisearch'.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Unfortunately, pisearch isn't going to work for a lot of people and isn't really a good long term solution.

#1, it's mysql only.

#2, it basically takes all of the content, loads it into memory, and searches it with php.

It's going to lead to memory problerms on any site over 10 pages, and isn't extensible to modules in any way.

I want to do something that's more integrated into the module API, and it cross database if possible.  That's why it's been put off until I can really do it "right".
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

#1, it's mysql only.
That was  correct - nearly nobody is using postgresql
In the version 1.22 this plugin uses the standard.
#2, it basically takes all of the content, loads it into memory, and searches it with php.
It's going to lead to memory problerms on any site over 10 pages, and isn't extensible to modules in any way.
That is not true.

Your solution to call one page is (see every menu plugin) with function GetAllContent:
$query = "SELECT * FROM ".cms_db_prefix()."content ORDER BY hierarchy";
My solution is:
"SELECT * FROM ".cms_db_prefix()."content WHERE active ='1' AND type ='content' ORDER BY hierarchy"
It's nearly the same but you get more records , so my way needs less memory as you need.
Than one record after another is reading not all at once !!

And Adodb and not Mysql direct needs more memory and Adodb is slower.
That was the reason why until version 1.22 only mysql support was given.
I want to do something that's more integrated into the module API, and it cross database if possible.  That's why it's been put off until I can really do it "right".
it's no problem to use adodb. now version 1.22 is with Adodb - only some lines  must changed and some are killed, a work of 5 minutes.

And - where can i see your offer with a search - module ??
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

As attachment

To spare memory and time you should delete indexes as example in content and content_props they are double and never used  - double causes a warning in mysql.

And you should make indexes you can use and use it - only an index is useless - there a several tables you can speed up the cms.

Return to “Announcements”