[RESOLVED] Installation Issues

Forum rules
Only administrators can post or move items here.
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

[RESOLVED] Installation Issues

Post by spcherub »

I ran into the following issues when installing the Beta:
1. When I tried the PHAR installer, I got the following error message -

Code: Select all

This webpage has a redirect loop
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
2. When I tried the "expanded installer", I got the following error message -

Code: Select all

"Access Denied"
and nothing else.

I did read the install 2.0 guidelines elsewhere in the Forum and checked the version of PHP on the server (5.6), but not able to make any further headway installing the Beta. FWIW I have installed 1.13 and below successfully on the very same server, so I'm assuming the server configuration is not the culprit.

Any advice/tips would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Sanjay
Last edited by spcherub on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Installation Issues

Post by spcherub »

Follow-up:

I notice that the URL changes when using the PHAR install method. For instance I start with
http://<domain>/cmsms2/cmsms-2.0-rc1-install.php
and the URL changes to
http://<domain>/cmsms2/cmsms-2.0-rc1-install.php/index.php
Of course this may be normal behavior (I'm not familiar with PHAR) but wanted to put that out there in case that was significant.

Also confirmed the following:
  • - No .htaccess file
    - Tried with debug=1, same result
    - Transferred everything binary

Thanks.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

This is correct behavior when using a phar file.

Also, we do not install a .htaccess file by default. a 'sample' one is distributed in the doc folder.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by spcherub »

@calguy: Understood and thanks for the clarification. My original installation problem still stands, so any advice/ideas in that regard are much appreciated.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

wrt the redirect loop or the other errors... make sure you don't have a .htaccess file in a parent directory that is setting rewrite rules that may interfere with stuff.

Other than that, without diving into the source on your host, I have no clue.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by spcherub »

Follow-up:

I tried the installation on a fresh subdomain with no potential for htaccess files in parent directories. No luck - still have Redirect errors with PHAR file and the "Access Denied" message with the unpacked installer.

On a related note, here is a link to phpinfo for that server: http://cmsms2.cherubala.com/info.php

If anyone is available to help out, I'm happy to open up access to the install location either by FTP or SSH.

TIA!
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by JohnnyB »

You should have log_errors ON
Enable PHP error_log in the php.ini or your server control panel settings. The error log might give you some helpful information.
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

is your apache sapi actually cgi-fpm or something like that? are you using nginx or apache?

if it is cgi-fpm there may be an issue with a bug in php that can only be fixed by upgrading the servers that actually generate the phar.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by spcherub »

@JohnnyB: Great suggestion. I did add a php.ini to enable error reporting and logging, but nothing was reported.

@calguy1000: I am using a shared server on 1&1, so I don't have the direct answer to your question. I think it is an apache server, but they could have swapped it anytime during their "upgrades". I will check with their support (wish me luck!) and hopefully get an answer. On a related note - I've not really had any issues with their service except for this one - for instance 1.13 installs and work great.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

The system information page on any cmsms install on the same server will tell you that information.

Look for: server_api and server_software.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by spcherub »

@calguy1000: Thanks for the tip. Here's what I see:

Server API (server_api): cgi-fcgi
Server Software (server_software): apache
Server Operating System (server_os): linux linux info 3.0 #1337 smp tue jan 01 00:00:00 cest 2000 all gnu/linux on linux info 3.0 #1337 smp tue jan 01 00:00:00 cest 2000 all gnu/linux

Also all the configurable options in the PHP Information section are green across the board.

Are any of these the culprit?

Thanks,
Sanjay
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Nope.. looks like I'm gonna have to dive in there.
Please email me the URL, database and ssh info for login if you don't mind.

I will try to take a look later today.
I will first start with the expanded installer. as that is easier to debug.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by JohnnyB »

I don't see anything in your phpinfo, but this: http://cmsms2.cherubala.com/cmsms-2.0-rc1-install.php causing a redirect loop and redirecting to http://cmsms2.cherubala.com/cmsms-2.0-r ... /index.php could be corrupt uploaded files, but seems to be a server setup issue.

Although, it is listed in your phpinfo, ask tech support if they support Phar and if it is set up correctly.
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Okay. I tested his site and found out that the phar issue is indeed a system issue.
I validated it with a very trivial phar file. I have encouraged @spcherub to nag 1&1 about it.

I also tested with the latest and greatest (yesterday) expanded zip and that appeared to work as far as I could get given the information I had.

For laughs and giggles, if anybody is experiencing this redirect issue... I've attached the source for the sample phar file to this post.
Attachments
phar_test.zip
Simple phar build script... requires phar.readonly=0 in the php.ini
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
spcherub
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by spcherub »

Thanks @calguy1000 for spending the time to debug the install. I'm excited to evaluate and learn 2.0 now that I have a working installation.

Return to “Closed Issues”