[open] Template error after upgrade

Report, and discuss CMSMS 2.0 Beta issues here. This forum is for beta testers, and module developers. Please don't use a beta release for production use.
archeo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: [open] Template error after upgrade

Post by archeo »

Try an update from 1.11.12 to beta after uninstalling all the modules except those of the core.
oliver341
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by oliver341 »

archeo wrote:Try an update from 1.11.12 to beta after uninstalling all the modules except those of the core.
I have just done this, I downloaded 1.11.12 and extracted it so I could see which modules were listed in the modules directory, and I uninstalled and removed all the modules from my own CMSMS installation which were not in core.

But the error remains post-upgrade:

Code: Select all

[Thu Feb 19 19:43:45 2015] [error] [client 192.168.1.3] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in /var/www/lib/classes/class.cms_config.php on line 496
So it appears it's not a third party module issue, but something else.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Template error after upgrade

Post by Jo Morg »

calguy1000 wrote:Care to share the template?
That would have helped some... If you can...
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
oliver341
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by oliver341 »

I started randomly deleting tags in the template until the page started working, it's the menu tag causing issues, because when I deleted both my menu tags, the page loaded again. I will switch the menu tags to navigator and mess around with attributes to see if I can find anything more out.
oliver341
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by oliver341 »

Solved!

On my 1.11 installation, my site template and menu template had the same name. Post-upgrade to 2.0, the menu broke and the site failed to load. Perhaps the menu template was trying to load the site template instead of the menu template, which would have loaded the menu template in a recursive loop. That would certainly account for the memory being exhausted.

I have now given my menu template in 1.11 a different name. I performed another upgrade to 2.0 and it worked fine.

Hope that helps.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Yes. If you have duplicately named templates you will have problems with upgrading.

i.e: If your page template is named 'Foo' and inside that page template you call {menu template='Foo'} there will be problems.

The upgrade routine will rename your MenuManager templates to something like 'MM-Foo' and your News templates to 'News-Summary-Foo', etc. so your templates will not be lost. The upgrade routine will also attempt to warn you that there may be difficulties, because it had to rename some templates.

However, because 'a template is just a template' and the template type stuff is just a loose association. the {menu template='Foo'} tag would re-load the page template and cause infinite recursion. This could result in either a timeout, or out of memory, or stack overflow issues, or a bunch of other things when rendering the page.

There is no good way to solve this issue. Because we do not (as a matter of policy) touch your template's content on upgrade. And even if we did, it would be error prone.

Not every site will upgrade cleanly.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “[locked] CMSMS 2.0 Beta”