2.2.16 Upgrade complete without erros but still on 2.2.14

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
samej

2.2.16 Upgrade complete without erros but still on 2.2.14

Post by samej »

Hi Team,

First of all, thanks for the great work behind CMSMS - I've been using it for years and am a very happy user!

I have tried to upgrade my 2.2.14 installation to 2.2.16. I unpack the PHAR file in my web root, make sure I meet all the requirements (e.g., that config.php is writeable, tmp/ is writable, etc.) and run through the upgrade wizard. There are no errors and the wizard completes successfully but afterwards, when I log into the admin panel, I am still on version 2.2.14:
Copyright © CMS Made Simple™ 2.2.14 “T'Sou-ke”
What is going on here;

- Has the upgrade completed but the version number simply hasn't bumped?
- Has the upgrade not actually run at all and nothing is changed?

How can I check if the upgrade process did anything at all?

FYI: I run NGINX + PHP-FPM + MySQL. I have restarted then a few times and run the upgrade wizard a few times. There is no error but it seems that nothing has changed. I can add a new page, delete it, and edit an existing page, so everything seems to be working fine.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade complete without erros but still on 2.2.14

Post by DIGI3 »

My guess would be the upgrade didn't complete the database part or something, but it's hard to tell without doing some digging. Do the core files have the last-modified date of when you upgraded?
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
samej

Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade complete without erros but still on 2.2.14

Post by samej »

The simplest answer is usually the correct answer.... The upgrade simply wasn't happening.

After some digger I found that errors were occurring but I couldn't see them. Why? I have various "good practice" security configurations on the service, for example, "X-Content-Type-Options nosniff". This, and various other options, prevent the browser from showing errors when they occur. I disabled a bunch of security features on the web server, then I could see the errors in my browser, (the main issue was a directory missing write permissions). Upgrade is now completed without issue. If I had the permissions correct in the first place, it would have been an easy upgrade process, so thanks for the good user experience.

Side note: is this root problem here with the PHAR installer/upgrade process? My browser (latest Firefox) shows various errors when using this PHAR file, but when browsing my CMSMS site I have no errors. So I think the way the PHAR works needs re-thinking (it's doing things like switching content type between text/html and javascript, and more, which Firefox was not happy about, I can't remember all the errors from the Firefox developer console).
Last edited by samej on Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CMSMS Core”