Upgrade to PHP 8.x gives error 500

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
KjetilB

Upgrade to PHP 8.x gives error 500

Post by KjetilB »

When I upgrade PHP from 7.4 to 8.0 or higher, both frontend and backend pages are blank with a message "HTTP error 500".

I have FTP access to the files, so I can delete cache or upload files if needed. I can also change PHP back to 7.4 and access the site like before and change settings in admin panel.

In mid January my ISP will no longer support that version, so I am in a bit of a hurry...

The CMSMS version is 2.2.8.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :-)

When I turn on PHP error messages, this list below is shown, but I don't understand what the messages mean, or what I have to do.

Deprecated: Constant FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/include.php on line 61

Deprecated: Constant FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/include.php on line 62

Deprecated: Return type of cms_config::offsetExists($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetExists(mixed $offset): bool, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.cms_config.php on line 338

Deprecated: Return type of cms_config::offsetGet($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetGet(mixed $offset): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.cms_config.php on line 346

Deprecated: Return type of cms_config::offsetSet($key, $value) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetSet(mixed $offset, mixed $value): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.cms_config.php on line 563

Deprecated: Return type of cms_config::offsetUnset($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetUnset(mixed $offset): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.cms_config.php on line 576

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.moduleoperations.inc.php on line 395

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.moduleoperations.inc.php on line 402

Deprecated: Optional parameter $returnid declared before required parameter $smarty is implicitly treated as a required parameter in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CMSModule.php on line 1429

Deprecated: Optional parameter $value declared before required parameter $items is implicitly treated as a required parameter in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CMSModule.php on line 2071

Deprecated: Optional parameter $itemid declared before required parameter $action is implicitly treated as a required parameter in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CMSModule.php on line 2846

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property Smarty_Internal_Extension_Handler::$assignGlobal is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_extension_handler.php on line 132

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property Smarty_Internal_Extension_Handler::$registerResource is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_extension_handler.php on line 132

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property Smarty_Internal_Extension_Handler::$registerDefaultPluginHandler is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_extension_handler.php on line 132

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property Smarty_Internal_Extension_Handler::$registerPlugin is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_extension_handler.php on line 132

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CMSSmartySecurityPolicy::$smarty is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_security.php on line 260

Deprecated: trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.FileTypeHelper.php on line 86

Deprecated: Return type of CmsRoute::OffsetExists($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetExists(mixed $offset): bool, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CmsRoute.php on line 147

Deprecated: Return type of CmsRoute::OffsetGet($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetGet(mixed $offset): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CmsRoute.php on line 131

Deprecated: Return type of CmsRoute::OffsetSet($key, $value) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetSet(mixed $offset, mixed $value): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CmsRoute.php on line 139

Deprecated: Return type of CmsRoute::OffsetUnset($key) should either be compatible with ArrayAccess::offsetUnset(mixed $offset): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.CmsRoute.php on line 157

Deprecated: Optional parameter $value declared before required parameter $items is implicitly treated as a required parameter in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/internal/module_support/modform.inc.php on line 499

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CmsContentTypePlaceholder::$class is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.contentoperations.inc.php on line 284

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CmsContentTypePlaceholder::$friendlyname_key is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.contentoperations.inc.php on line 293

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CmsContentTypePlaceholder::$class is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.contentoperations.inc.php on line 284

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CmsContentTypePlaceholder::$friendlyname_key is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.contentoperations.inc.php on line 293

Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property CmsContentTypePlaceholder::$friendlyname_key is deprecated in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/lib/classes/class.contentoperations.inc.php on line 290

Fatal error: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is no longer supported in /home/1/f/(site name)/www/modules/Search/PorterStemmer.class.php on line 393
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Upgrade to PHP 8.x gives error 500

Post by DIGI3 »

CMSMS 2.2.8 came out in 2018. PHP 8.0 wasn't released until 2020, so it's very unlikely you'll get it to work. I'd suggest you start with getting your CMSMS install up to date. Make sure your third-party modules are updated too, and keep in mind some older/unsupported ones may not have PHP8 compatible versions.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
KjetilB

Post by KjetilB »

Thanks,

By the way - I am a bit confused: How can version 2.2.16 be the latest version when 2.2.8 was released in 2018?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

16 is bigger than 8
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
KjetilB

Post by KjetilB »

Ah yes, of course. I guess I read 1.6 instead of 16. Thhanks :-)

Return to “CMSMS Core”