Deprecated get_magic_quotes_runtime() in phpmailer

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
rotezecke
Power Poster
Power Poster

Deprecated get_magic_quotes_runtime() in phpmailer

Post by rotezecke »

from my error logs:
PHP Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in .../lib/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php on line 2692

I dont think that this phpmailer class is used by any core modules/plugins, but one of my own plugin uses it.

Maybe the phpmailer class was since removed from the core distribution and this is a leftover as the site is over 10 years old. I used that class because it was there, thinking it will be updated with new releases.

Is phpmailer class still part of the distribution?
Rolf
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Deprecated get_magic_quotes_runtime() in phpmailer

Post by Rolf »

rotezecke wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:04 amIs phpmailer class still part of the distribution?
Yes, it is! In the roadmap for CMSMS 3.0: "Un-deprecate mailer module, changes for licensing compatibility."
https://www.cmsmadesimple.org/about/roadmap
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
JamesT
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JamesT »

What is the value in un-deprecating that module when it is simply a legacy wrapper for the un-deprecated cms_mailer class?
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Although not very explicit we are going to consolidate as much as possible all the core and it's libraries' licenses, 3rd party or not.
On all our proprietary code we will probably change to AGPL3+. We well keep all 3rd party libraries that are compatible with AGPL3+ and deprecate and eventually remove rapidly those which are not compatible, although we'll replace them with compatible ones in a way that won't bring problems to 3rd party modules that may rely on those libraries. PhpMailer is one of those libraries that we will replace.
Once that decision was made, we also though that the previous decision of moving the mailer functionality to a core class ended up being less versatile than originally thought. Modularity makes it possible for 3rd party developers to come forward with different solutions for the same functionality and even address different needs (such as using an external service to handle all emails from a site). Then, as it already happens with WYSIWYG editor modules, the site developer may have the option to choose from different modules for the one that may fit better his needs.
Undeprecating certain functionality or module can be a positive move if it opens more doors in the future.
That's what we are aiming at.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
JamesT
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JamesT »

Thanks Jo, that brings a lot of extra clarity.

Return to “CMSMS Core”