Permissions and access problems Topic is solved

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
jakovbak
Forum Members
Forum Members

Permissions and access problems

Post by jakovbak »

Helo folks!
I have an issue I never came across before... Running latest CMS version but can't access any folders under Uploads folder nor change Global Settings/General Settings.

I've checked permissions in cPanel and in Admin backend and noticed they don't match (see attachment).

My host doesn't allow ModSecurity control in cPanel so I had to turn it off in .htaccess file.

Other than that, so far my new installation of CMSMS is running fine... :-)

So, any kind soul out there to point me into the right direction? How to solve this or should I switch to another hosting provider?

Thank you in advance and have a nice rest of the day!
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 15.24.13.png
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 15.24.29.png
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Permissions and access problems

Post by DIGI3 »

What happens when you try to access the folders, do you get a forbidden page? I assume that's why you suspected mod_security. If it is that, I'm not sure you can disable it in htaccess, typically if there's no control panel for it then you need to ask the host to disable it or whitelist the rule(s) in question.

If it's not mod_security then I'd suspect an ownership issue although I haven't personally witnessed cPanel showing different permissions than cmsms (granted it's never occurred to me to check). Something doesn't seem right but short of trying it on another host I'm not sure what to suggest.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
jakovbak
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by jakovbak »

Hello Digi3!
Yes, I get message ‘Forbidden’ when I try to access those folders. I asked my host and they adviced me how to disable mod_security in .htaccess (I’m on my cellphone now and can’t provide a screenshot). Different perrmissions values on cPanel and Admin backend is what confuses me the most…
jakovbak
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by jakovbak »

Tested on another host and everything is working just fine. Must be something about mod_security or some other security and permissions issue. Didn't solve it but at least I know where to host in the future.

Return to “CMSMS Core”