CMS 1.10.3 Mailer Question

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
ats123

CMS 1.10.3 Mailer Question

Post by ats123 »

Hello everyone,

I have taken over the website of a client of mine after GoDaddy stopped supporting the older version of PHP and moved it to a different server that supports it. I don't really dabble in this kind of stuff. Mainly on the networking/Security/Hardwire side of IT (I use to play with PHPNuke back in the day tho) but they are running 1.10.3 and they have a contact form and it sends the email out though the CPanel user and not an SMTP account and not sure if this "Form" is part of the Core module or not. We will eventually try to upgrade them to the latest version.

Any inside or help would be great. First time dealing with CMS

Ryan
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: CMS 1.10.3 Mailer Question

Post by paulbaker »

ats123 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:34 am they are running 1.10.3
That software was released the best part of 10 years ago. Rather than trying to troubleshoot your time would be better spent upgrading. As a first step you could paste the system info so we can see what modules are installed - instructions in my footer.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

If you just need to get it working quickly before you can arrange the upgrade, you'd need to make sure it's a form within the cms and not an embedded third-party form first. That should be easy enough by editing the content page the form is on and seeing what's there. If it's a tag like {formbuilder ...} and not an iframe or anything, then it's probably in the cms.

If that's the case, check the mail settings. In that version the mailer was a separate module, I think under Extensions > CMS Mailer. You should see some settings you can change and test there. The form likely uses those settings.

And of course, upgrade asap like Paul said :)
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
ats123

Post by ats123 »

paulbaker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:09 am
ats123 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:34 am they are running 1.10.3
That software was released the best part of 10 years ago. Rather than trying to troubleshoot your time would be better spent upgrading. As a first step you could paste the system info so we can see what modules are installed - instructions in my footer.

Yea figured as much! The company who originally did it wanted like 5 Grand to upgrade it. The only issue of why I am trying to figure this out is because email is hosted on GoDaddy (Site use to be as well) so when it send out form the local cpanel it will only send to the local mailer which of course doesn't work on actually sending it to them. Weird thing is I can't even get it to send to a local email as well but my email will work (Same hosting server and same mail server). It seems to want to send to what ever the admin user email is too.

Cms Version: 1.10.3

Installed Modules:

CMSMailer: 2.0.2
CMSPrinting: 1.0
FileManager: 1.2.0
MenuManager: 1.7.7
ModuleManager: 1.5.3
Search: 1.7
Album: 0.9.3
Archiver: 0.2.4
CGExtensions: 1.27.2
SiteMapMadeSimple: 1.2.5
MovedPages: 0.7
TinyMCE: 2.9.5
ECB: 1.3.1

Config Information:

php_memory_limit:
process_whole_template: true
output_compression: false
max_upload_size: 20000000
default_upload_permission: 664
url_rewriting: mod_rewrite
page_extension:
query_var: page
image_manipulation_prog: GD
auto_alias_content: true
locale:
default_encoding: utf-8
admin_encoding: utf-8
set_names: true

Php Information:

phpversion: 5.2.17
md5_function: On (True)
gd_version: 2
tempnam_function: On (True)
magic_quotes_runtime: Off (False)
E_STRICT: 0
memory_limit: 256M
max_execution_time: 180
output_buffering: 4096
safe_mode: Off (False)
file_uploads: On (True)
post_max_size: 64M
upload_max_filesize: 64M
session_save_path: /opt/alt/php52/var/lib/php/session (0700)
session_use_cookies: On (True)
xml_function: On (True)

Server Information:

Server Api: litespeed
Server Db Type: MySQL (mysql)
Server Db Version: 10.3.28

Thanks for the help
ats123

Post by ats123 »

DIGI3 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm If you just need to get it working quickly before you can arrange the upgrade, you'd need to make sure it's a form within the cms and not an embedded third-party form first. That should be easy enough by editing the content page the form is on and seeing what's there. If it's a tag like {formbuilder ...} and not an iframe or anything, then it's probably in the cms.

If that's the case, check the mail settings. In that version the mailer was a separate module, I think under Extensions > CMS Mailer. You should see some settings you can change and test there. The form likely uses those settings.

And of course, upgrade asap like Paul said :)
The emails send out, the issue is like i said in the above post, their email is on GoDaddy, CPanel will only send through local mailer even with MX record pointing to their godaddy (Technically Office 365 through godaddy) but will not send to that address. Also won't send to a local email address under their domain on our hosting server but will send to my email on our hosting server. We have an in house email server and i made an email group that it sends to and I will get it but they still don't even though sending emails to them from our same in house email server works just fine so here I am forwarding any and all contacts and RFQs.

Upgrading is on my list. Like I said back in the day (like 03-09) i played with PHPNuke so I know how most of these guys work and upgrade and making sure modules work etc and if it is supported or not on newer version.

The contact and rfq form are in their old folder in the root under Forms but then the module, which there is no access to in the admin menu, is under lib/forms_rm and nothing there gives the option to set SMTP and its not using the CMSMailer either. Changed those and test emails there are fine but it still comes from the cpaneluser@serveraddress.com

Thanks for the help
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

I've had issues with cPanel hosts where email sent to the same domain doesn't route properly, and it's usually down to setting "Remote Mail Exchanger" in Email Routing in cPanel. Other times it's been a missed mx entry that still points to the web host even though all the other entries were added.

Not sure if that's related or not, I admittedly don't fully understand the issue you're having (or email routing in general, to be honest...).
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
ats123

Post by ats123 »

DIGI3 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm I've had issues with cPanel hosts where email sent to the same domain doesn't route properly, and it's usually down to setting "Remote Mail Exchanger" in Email Routing in cPanel. Other times it's been a missed mx entry that still points to the web host even though all the other entries were added.

Not sure if that's related or not, I admittedly don't fully understand the issue you're having (or email routing in general, to be honest...).
Only issue with that is we have multiple sites hosted there and can't set it as the local (I have even done that to test it) as we wouldn't be able to send emails as well as they are remote and we are all local.

I'll work on upgrading first.

Return to “CMSMS Core”