Mail Setting password Field length Topic is solved

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
blackrain
Forum Members
Forum Members

Mail Setting password Field length

Post by blackrain »

I was asked the question, "what is the limit of the password field in the mail settings on CMSMS" I have to say, I don't know. can someone tell me the character limit in the password field, it looks like html limits it to 50 but not sure of that is just display limit.

Thanks
rotezecke
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Mail Setting password Field length

Post by rotezecke »

I think this is stored in the siteprefs table, and the value field is a "text" field, which can take up to 65,535 characters. The admin page may have a limit on the input field (I did not check this) but you could either create a custom admin template or just enter it directly into database - if mail passwords are still stored in plain text (mine are plain text but my CMSMS installation grew over many years and updates and could be legacy).
blackrain
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by blackrain »

Hi @rotezecke,

you are correct the limits are set in the siteprefs.tpl file in admin/templates. The html limit is set to 50 and this governs the accepted character length. The Db does not seem to constrain it as it is save as part of an array.

Thanks for responding, I set the limit to 100 in the siteprefs file and all is working as expected.

For anyone using sendgrid to relay smtp, the new API details require 62 characters to work, because the password field is hidden i did not notice the capping of the string to 50, you will need to change the siteprefs file to allow the api key to fit.

kind regards

Mark
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

Return to “CMSMS Core”