Problem with some jpg with the tinymce file manager

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Problem with some jpg with the tinymce file manager

Post by antibart »

Hi,

this might not be an issue, more a case of converting, so I better explain what happens:

1. A client sent me some jpg.

2. It is not possible to upload them in the TinyMCE File Manager. The preloading-animation never ends.

3. But it is possible to upload them with the cms file manager.

4. After saving the file "for web" in Adobe Photoshop everything is alright. I can upload them in tinyMCE too.

So what could be wrong with those original files that TinyMCE is struggling around? It is not the size of the files.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Problem with some jpg with the tinymce file manager

Post by DIGI3 »

Probably the thumbnail conversion or something - have you checked your error logs to see if there's any clues?
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

DIGI3 wrote:Probably the thumbnail conversion or something - have you checked your error logs to see if there's any clues?
No errors reported. And I deactivated thumbnail converting temporarily.

And as I said: Only the original jpg-files sent by the guy have this problem. Other images work. And as soon as I save his pics for web with Photoshop: they are able to be uploaded.

But that is not a solution: He has tons of images and wants to upload by himself.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

What file size are they..?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

It's probably going to be easier to figure out why the images are unique before trying to find/fix issues with TinyMCE's upload method. The files might have the wrong extension or filetype, which Photoshop and File Manager are able to work around. It could also be aspect ratio, compression, rotation. What's different about the images he's providing? How is he sourcing them?

Anything in the console during the upload?

As DrCss mentioned it could be file size, although I don't think Tiny uses a different limitation than file manager does - I would think it's the same php setting.
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

DIGI3 wrote:It's probably going to be easier to figure out why the images are unique before trying to find/fix issues with TinyMCE's upload method.
That is why I started this thread. How can I check this out? What can be different from other jpg what TinyMCE makes struggling?
DIGI3 wrote:
As DrCss mentioned it could be file size, although I don't think Tiny uses a different limitation than file manager does - I would think it's the same php setting.
It is not the file size. I've tried much larger pics and it worked.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

I gave you some clues in my comment - find out how he's sourcing them. Is he taking pictures on his phone? Using an app? Downloading from a browser? How? Right click and save? Which browser? Is there a way we can reproduce this workflow so we can test/fix?

What about looking at the metadata of the file before you resave from photoshop and after - anything strange or different there? (in Windows, right click on the jpg > properties > details)

Was there anything in the console during upload? Press F12 and go to 'console' before starting the upload, and see if anything shows up. It may help.

Once you get a bit more information, you might be able to search for a fix or workaround with TinyMCE. Perhaps there's a configuration setting that can be changed for your specific issue. When I do a
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

He is scanning old photographies and docs with a mac and using PS CS 3 or 4 to edit.

the details of the pics are not quite different from others. The only difference is the resolution of 72dpi instead of 96dpi in the "web saved" files. But that really does not matter.

Console reports "Media could not be played. No decoders for requested formats: image / jpeg, image / jpeg". But that appears with working uploads too.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

That sounds like an encoding issue, perhaps a mimetype not configured correctly on the server. Your host/server admin may be able to help with that. Even though the messages appear on files that work, it's still a clue that perhaps something isn't configured correctly - that's not a normal message to get.

If it can't be fixed on the server side, perhaps he can check his export settings in Photoshop, or simply save in a different file format (png, for example). I'd also make sure the files are rgb and not cmyk or any other colour space, and don't contain any alpha channels or anything. Save for web would fix that but just saving might not.
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

DIGI3 wrote:or simply save in a different file format (png, for example).
I think it would be enough if he would save the files "for web". But this is hard to explain ... he has got tons of images...

Thanks for your input anyway...
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

Just to complete this:
DIGI3 wrote:That sounds like an encoding issue, perhaps a mimetype not configured correctly on the server. Your host/server admin may be able to help with that. Even though the messages appear on files that work, it's still a clue that perhaps something isn't configured correctly - that's not a normal message to get.
I checked it on five or six different hosts and the message appears on all of them.
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by johnboyuk1 »

Could it be the bit depth? This is just a random guess but I've had general issues with files (not specifically to do with CMSMS) before because of this ... if you open the image in photoshop and look under'image > mode> and see if it says 8bits ... compare the settings in here with the ones that do work

just a guess...
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

johnboyuk1 wrote:if you open the image in photoshop and look under'image > mode> and see if it says 8bits ...
Thank you. Yes, it says 8 Bit. But in the meantime all broken images are re-converted anyway.
musicscore
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by musicscore »

Same problem here.
Because my customers edit the content of their site themselve, I have no influence on the pictures. So for me a solution/fix in tinymce would be the best solution.

I tested some pictures and it seems the pictures coming from an Android phone are causing problems. Not shure about that yet.

Does anyone already have a solution.
antibart
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by antibart »

musicscore wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 am

I tested some pictures and it seems the pictures coming from an Android phone are causing problems. Not shure about that yet.

Does anyone already have a solution.
In my case Android was not involved.

My solution was to tell the customer not to use the old originals and save them "for web" before uploading with TinyMCE. You can do that with tons of pictures in one minute using e.g. IrfanViews "batch converting".

Return to “CMSMS Core”