Bug and Workaround: Installer problem on Centos 8

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
martinj42

Bug and Workaround: Installer problem on Centos 8

Post by martinj42 »

Reporting a bug workaround in case it saves time for someone else...

Just installed 2.2.13 on a new Centos 8 VM, with default AppStream versions of components PHP 7.2.11, MySQL 8.0.17, Apache 2.4.37, mysqlnd 5.0.12. (I was going to attach the PHPInfo output but the forum blocks HTML and PDF, and I don't know what else to try.)

It was a bit of a struggle! As usual, the installer made a series of checks at each step and reported any config issues. However, the config issues it reported did not agree with phpinfo.php, which showed the settings were all correct.

The solution was to wait for each step to fail, then add "&debug=1" to the end of the URL, and reload the page in the browser - for every step in the sequence. Then each step would proceed without error until the next step.

Once that's done, the system seems to run OK (the default test site works and you can log in and edit the test site).

SO... I guess there is some weird setting or program version in Centos 8 that is confusing the checker.

Hope this helps

Martin
martinj42

Re: Bug and Workaround: Installer problem on Centos 8

Post by martinj42 »

OK, so I deleted my test site and database. Removed Apache. Installed Nginx. Changed some folder permissions from apache:apache to nginx:nginx, then reinstalled CMSMS from scratch with an empty Mysql database.

This time the installer went all the way through to the end without needing "debug=1" in the URL. Everything looked flawless right the way to the end - but then the test site didn't work! This turned out to be because config.php was not created, even though it all seemed to have worked (and all the other files and folders were created as expected).

I've worked around this for now (by restoring an older config and database). But for the future, this is probably just something else that works differently on CentOS8 / RedHat8 compared to Ubuntu / Debian, and so catches out the installer somehow.

Sorry I can't shed any more light on it ...

Return to “CMSMS Core”