Install completed without errors but ...

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
jonboy49

Install completed without errors but ...

Post by jonboy49 »

Just ran the whole install routine on my Mac so I could check this CMS out but ...

Install ran fine - no errors and only 2 "your limit setting meets the minimum but ..." recommendations. Web page was fully styled, all graphics in place etc.

Clicked on the "visit your website" link and something out of the 1980s with no styling, images missing etc. appeared. Even worse, if I take any of the links the port number is dropped from the URL and I get a not found error.

Tried the "CMSMS admin panel" link - same thing.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but can't find one related to install issues.

This has to be something trivial but I have no clue where to look to fix it.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Install completed without errors but ...

Post by DIGI3 »

I would check the following:
  1. Look at your browser's console, see if it's giving mixed content errors or any clues to the reason the links are broken.
  2. Check your config.php file. If you're using a custom port or subfolder you may need to change/enter some paths/urls (see the docs site for the various config settings).
  3. Check your php error log.
If it's not those, you'll need to give us more information about your environment and/or a url to the site. Keep in mind that most of us use unix servers so if the issue is mac-specific we may not have any insight.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at the browser errors it all appears to be caused by the same problem - namely that for some reason it is dropping the port number. So it is attempting to get to files as localhost/ instead of localhost:8888/

This is a brand new MAMP install. No specific customization - all settings "out of the box". Same with the CMSMS install - no tweaks no nothing.

Other tools such as PHPMyAdmin and GetSimpleCMS are both working fine in this new setup and retain the port number.

I have no idea what setting could have this effect - I have never encountered any tool messing with the URL root before so I have no clue where to look.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

I've never done a non-standard port setup before so I'm only guessing here, but do you have a root_url setting in your config.php? You could try including the port in it perhaps.

See https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/configur ... g_root_url
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

I added $config['root_url'] = 'localhost:8888'; to the php config

It doesn't make any difference - the only difference is that the errors flagged on the pages now include the port number in the file name - which is clearly wrong.

You can see it in the image here: https://www.screencast.com/t/fHaNPS7qGk.

As I noted earlier - other code in this same environment is running correctly. I have installed about 20 different packages over the last year or two all the same way and never had an issue.

I have also used the same port technique on other platforms and never had an issue - I just can't imagine what there could possibly be in CMSMS that would cause this difference.
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

Anybody got any alternative suggestions? I'd hate to have to abandon this tool before I even get started. Nice install process and it all looked so promising ...
MantaPro
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by MantaPro »

jonboy49 - just a guess, but I would suggest you try changing the line you have added to your config.php from

Code: Select all

$config['root_url'] = 'localhost:8888';
To be the full http: format

Code: Select all

$config['root_url'] = 'http://localhost:8888';
Worth a try - good luck
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

Many thanks @MantaPro - that set me on the right path.

I made the change you suggested and it made a couple of things work differently. Still not right but different. So I added the install folder name to the path and that did it.

So the final answer was to set it as:

$config['root_url'] = 'http://localhost:8888/cmsms';

I still have no clue as to why Joomla, MediaWiki, etc. etc. all worked fine without that tweak but I'll take what I can get.

Many thanks.

Return to “CMSMS Core”