Can I continue to use CMS ?

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
metscore

Can I continue to use CMS ?

Post by metscore »

Hello,

Being a newbie, I've tried to upgrade an old CMS installation from version 1.8.2 to today's current version.

However it seems as if I'm at the end of the road on version 1.12.2.
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/to-cmsms-2.x

The reason for this (if I understand it correctly) is that future versions uses a PHAR mechanism for upgrading. However the hotel where the website lives (one.com) does not support PHAR and talking to their customer support they will not enable it either.
I've tried the upgrade process detailed in the link above but it does not work which I assume is due to the lack of the PHAR module.

Couldn't I stay on 1.12.2 and be happy ? Well, One.com says that I must upgrade to PHP 7.2 (they will discontinue older versions) and version 1.12.2 does not run at all if I enable PHP 7.2

Could anyone give me a clue what my options are ?
Using the PHAR module is out of scope since the web hotel will not enable it.
Is this the end of the road for me using CMS ?

I'm grateful for all comments or ideas and please tell me if I misunderstood anything or have missed something that I should have done.

King regards
Magnus
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Can I continue to use CMS ?

Post by DIGI3 »

I'm pretty sure other people have upgraded just fine one One.com, so perhaps you just need to escalate with them. You could also try the expanded installer if you haven't already.

If they're unwilling to cooperate, I'd suggest finding a new host. CMSMS has a couple of excellent partners which we've thoroughly tested, and have cooperative support departments. See https://www.cmsmadesimple.org/partners/
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

You can also upgrade CMSMS on a local installation, and then just 'move' the upgraded site to your host.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

DIGI3 wrote:I'm pretty sure other people have upgraded just fine one One.com, so perhaps you just need to escalate with them.
Had similar questions in Dutch forum board.
Members contacted one.com and they *will not* enable PHAR!
one.com wrote:"No, this is not a standard php function, for Phar files must be put on our internal server, something we do not allow."
Reference:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=75273
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=79310
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
metscore

Post by metscore »

calguy1000 wrote:You can also upgrade CMSMS on a local installation, and then just 'move' the upgraded site to your host.
Sounded like a good idea, so I set off trying installing xampp to get a local web server up and running. However I didn't have much success in getting apache up and running (a lot of endless errors) and tomcat worked good as a webserver, but then getting it to run php/phar (which it didn't do out of the box) was more mental battering than I felt to undertake that day...

I'm sorry to say, but the previous installation package (with a zip/tar file) was a lot easier, so I'm starting to lean towards using something else than cmsms. Sad, but it feels as if I'm running out of viable options.... :(
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

metscore

Post by metscore »

I really hope that they are considering to enable phar, but forgive me for not being too optimistic about it. I would guess that if it happens, it happens too late for those of us who need a change fairly soon.

I even considered a fresh installation of 2.2.8 (downloading the expanded zip) but even that said

Code: Select all

Your PHP environment must include the PHAR extension (yes, even for the expanded installer).  This is for expanding the archive(s) included within the installation assistant.
so I guess I'm all out of options right now. :'(

(Trying the old 1.12.2 version does not work anymore, probably due to the database upgrade that was done. Anyway that would only have bought me two extra days since I've been told that PHP 5.6 will be discontinued at the 3rd of december.)
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

You could always get someone with a good host, or properly set up test environment, to upgrade it for you then put it back on your server. That's probably easier than rebuilding the site on another platform. If you don't know anyone, you could either post on the help wanted forum or use our hire-a-dev program.

Is there any reason why switching to a better host isn't an option? There's thousands out there, and, again, much easier than rebuilding your site.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
JamesT
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JamesT »

I have to agree with DIGI3, don't keep giving sub-standard web hosts your money. Additionally, tell them why you're leaving them.

Return to “CMSMS Core”