The major upgrade (10 years)

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
metscore

The major upgrade (10 years)

Post by metscore »

Hello,

I recently "inherited" a site, owned by a racketball club I joined, where the current version of CMS is 1.8.2 (Yes, that one from 2010).

I'm a beginner at CMS, but since the web hotel is in the process of forcing an upgrade to PHP 7.1 our site needs to adhere to this too.
The site (http://www.lundssquash.se/) is fairly basic with not too many modules (probably no extra out of the standard ones) as far as I can tell.

My questions are, what are the potential pitfalls that I should try to avoid when upgrading? Is there anything specific that I should do when upgrading to 2.2.8 from a version that is 8 years old?
Any hints or tips that would make this transition fairly smooth are highly appreciated !

King reagards
Magnus
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: The major upgrade (10 years)

Post by DIGI3 »

We've seen a lot older, 1.8.2 is not that bad :)

Follow the directions at https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/old-versions step by step, and make backups at each stage.

Other than what's documented there, the main things that foil upgrades are old and unsupported modules. Have a look through module manager, and for any non-core module, look on the Forge to see if there's recent updates. If not, check to see if there are alternatives (e.g., ListIt can be migrated to LISE). Failing that, you will probably want to remove them and come up with some alternate method.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
metscore

Post by metscore »

Thanks for your answer DIGI3 !
DIGI3 wrote:We've seen a lot older, 1.8.2 is not that bad :)
Oh, I thought I was going to stand out as the worst guy ever. ;D
Thanks for your pro tip ! I'll give it a try this coming weekend when the number of visitors probably is smaller !

King regards,
Magnus
theyssef

Post by theyssef »

Hello all,
sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in the same situation.
I've inherited a 1.10 CMSMS website that needs to upgrade to PHP 7.2 to not be taken offline by One.com.

As I'm completely new to CMSMS I've got some very noobish questions..
1) Where can I find the Module Manager?
2) How can I see if 3rd party plugins are used?
3) Should I just upgrade the version of CMSMS and will this then also upgrade the PHP Version?
I saw that on one.com you can also indicate that a newer php version should be used

Thanks in advance!
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

1) Site Admin > Module Manager
2) In newer versions the core modules are in green, but I can't recall if they're highlighted in any way in a version that old. If it's not obvious, you can include your module list in a post here and we can tell you
3) CMSMS can't control what version of PHP you have installed. Assuming you're currently using 5.4 or 5.5, I would suggest upgrading CMSMS as far as 1.12.2, then upgrading PHP to 5.6, then CMSMS to 2.2.8, then PHP to 7.1. (7.2 isn't officially supported yet, it will probably work fine but may report some errors).
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
theyssef

Post by theyssef »

Hi Digi3,
Thanks for your reply.
My CMS seems to be in dutch, but I can't seem to find the site admin.
This is what I'm seeing:

Screenshot

What do you mean with:'CMSMS can't control what version of PHP you have installed.'
I'm using the webserver of one.com, so maybe I have to change the PHP version for my webspace there?
metscore

Post by metscore »

theyssef wrote:Hello all,
sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in the same situation.
I've inherited a 1.10 CMSMS website that needs to upgrade to PHP 7.2 to not be taken offline by One.com.
I hope that you have more luck than I have.
It seems as if One.com (which my site is also using) have not (and will not) enable the PHAR module on PHP 7.x that CMS uses for upgrading.
I think that this means that I'm stuck with version 1.2.12.
I've posted a question in the forum if there is any way around this limitation.

Return to “CMSMS Core”