Non-programmer needs help with upgrade path

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
lruther1

Non-programmer needs help with upgrade path

Post by lruther1 »

I have been trying to follow the directions for upgrading older versions. Site is currently on 1.11.13 I think I am not placing the next version file in the right directory folder as when I clear the cache on the admin page, the version doesn't change. This is what I see when opening c panel file manager, where out I to be uploading the file? Tx Linda
file manager cpanel.jpeg
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Non-programmer needs help with upgrade path

Post by velden »

Welcome!

Please make sure you have a proper backup of files and database before upgrading!

When updating CMSMS 1.x versions the tar.gz files need to be extracted. The files on the server should be overwritten by the new files.
I think in cPanel's file manager you can do this in one step (or perhaps two, first extract to the .tar and then extract the contents of the .tar file).

Seems now the files are extracted in a subfolder which has no effect.

Probably you've seen this page https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/old-versions
It doesn't describe all steps in detail anymore as version 1.x isn't supported anymore for a while.

CMSMS 2.x comes with an Installation Assistent; a single file (in a .zip which needs to be extracted). Browsing to this single .php file will start the assistent and do all the hard work for you.

Side note:
From you screenshot I can see you have an 'install' folder too. If it is a CMS Made Simple folder it's best to remove it (after upgrading).
lruther1

Post by lruther1 »

Tx, I did look at that document in addition from the notes I made last year when upgrading. I don't remember how to create a back up. Baby steps please. I did get as far as extracting the .tar file, but didn't know exactly where to put it before and after extracting. Here is another screen shot of the main directory I see when opening the file manager. Fell free to mark it up with dummy arrows of put file here. Linda
Attachments
filemanagerscreenshot.jpeg
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

There are quite a few "gotcha" moments when upgrading all the way to 2.2.7 from an old site. You're going to be troubleshooting module compatibility, template structure, php versions, and possibly more depending upon the complexity of your site.

While I appreciate your willingness to learn how to do this, have you considered hiring someone to get you up to date, then learning how to backup and do incremental upgrades once the complicated part is done? We're all a bit hesitant to give forum and screenshot advice on a somewhat complex series of tasks that could nuke your website with a misstep.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
lruther1

Post by lruther1 »

I have been leaning towards that. Tx

Return to “CMSMS Core”