Menu advice... showing a page set to 'not show'

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Menu advice... showing a page set to 'not show'

Post by johnboyuk1 »

I've got a little issue I'm trying to resolve, I don't know if its possible but somebody might have a clever idea!

I have a main navigation that is 2 levels deep - so top level and then dropdowns which show child pages

For one of these menu items though I don't want to display its children in a dropdown - so i have set these child pages to not sow in the menu by unchecking the 'Show in menu' option.

BUT I do want to be able to display these child pages in a side menu on the pages themselves... how do I achieve this given the {Navigator} wont now display them. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks!
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Menu advice... showing a page set to 'not show'

Post by velden »

You could use the Navigator's showall parameter for the side menu:
(optional) show_all="0" - This option will cause the menu to show all nodes even if they are set to not show in the menu. It will still not display inactive pages however.
An alternative way is using one of the 'extra page attribute' fields of the either the content pages or the section header and use that in the main menu template to hide those (child) items.
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by johnboyuk1 »

Great, I will look at this ... totally missed the 'show all' option, though suspect I won't be able to use that in combination with number of levels etc? Anyway, I will give it a try
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by johnboyuk1 »

As a side note...

show_all="0" (as taken from documentation)

Doesnt appear to work

show_all=true

Does seem to work though ...bug? Incorrect help file?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

It's a boolean, 0 = false, 1 = true. The docs should probably show a 1 as it's giving an example of what it does when set to true - I've updated the docs site for now.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by johnboyuk1 »

great - makes more sense

And also, thanks Velden, this did solve my problem - as number of levels / start level does indeed still work when show_all is set :)

Return to “CMSMS Core”