Geek Moot 2012 - a review

Join us in Northampton, UK on Mar 8-10!
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Geek Moot 2012 - a review

Post by paulbaker »

Well, I have returned home from the 2012 geekmoot (my first) and I thought I would post my experience of it, for all those who didn't make it.

Who attended?

Around 30 people, ranging from web developer guys with moderate experience in CMSMS (who can install modules, build templates, hack around with some smarty - people like me), through very experienced CMSMS people who can make modules, and up to CMSMS Gods - like Calguy (Robert Campbell) :)

Where was it?

In a small hotel in Northamton, England.

How many days did it go on for?

The main conference was 2 days (this is what I attended), before this there was 1 day for some training presentations. See the geekmoot website for details.

So what happened?

The conference was made up of various talks and presentations about CMSMS, in between which there were rest periods (and lunch!) which enabled you to chat to other attendees and get to know some other geeks. I enjoyed meeting IRL (in real life) some of the people I have met online in the forums and on twitter.

What were the talks about?

Some of the highlights for me were:
  • - Calguy's keynote speech where he spoke about the history of CMSMS, how he started and how the development team works to maintain and develop our favourite CMS. He also told us about the move to change CMSMS in to an official not-for-profit organisation.
  • - Peter Orije's demonstration of his excellent Showtime module - a flexible slideshow.
  • - A report and discussion of CMSMS marketing from Anne-Mieke Bovelett and John Scotcher
  • - A sneak preview of CMSMS 1.11 from Calguy, with a demo of the admin interface....it looks *very* smart! Some cool new features too, like drag and drop image upload.
What else did you do?

During the breaks we all shut down our laptops and actually spoke to each other.... It was good getting to know the dev team and other web professionals from around the world. We spoke about web stuff and how we run our businesses as well as CMSMS. In the evening - as you might guess, beers were drunk in town, just down the road.

Where did the attendees come from?

As well as the UK, there were attendees from USA, Canada, Switzerland, The Netherlands, France, Belgium.......

I tweeted some photos during the event:

https://twitter.com/#!/maidbloke/status ... 1715446785
the dev team

https://twitter.com/#!/maidbloke/status ... 7409302529
a room full of geeks :)

https://twitter.com/#!/maidbloke/status ... 3297011712
calguy wins developer of the year at #cmsms #geekmoot

I really enjoyed my first geekmoot, and extend my thanks to those who organised it, particularly John Scotcher, and all those who made presentations.

I hope this encourages you to come along to a geekmoot if possible in future - it is worth the effort!

Attendees - please add your own thoughts to this thread!

Until next time....? ;D
uniqu3

Re: Geek Moot 2012 - a review

Post by uniqu3 »

Great review and write up ;)
I hope i can keep my schedule free next time and attend myself.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

uniqu3 wrote:Great review and write up ;)
Thank you - and congratulations on your award - well deserved!
stevegos

Post by stevegos »

Thanks for this.

I really enjoyed the Geekmoot as well. It was great to see some of the presentations, meet people and swap ideas.

Look forward to the next one...

It was mentioned about this being in the US. If we could have as much notice of the date as possible, that would be great as it makes planning easier as I would integrate the Geekmoot into a holiday at the same time.

Return to “Geek Moot 2012”