LISE and FEU

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
Recon
Forum Members
Forum Members

LISE and FEU

Post by Recon »

Hi Guys,

I have made websites where FEU users can edit their own content on the public website. Have used FEU and CompanyDIrectory for this purpose. Can I still use these modules although they are in the stale state? Is there security risk or something other?

Or can LISE module do this also?

Have to say, I am very regretful and feel sad that CMS Made Simple is not shine like it did 2015-2018 when I did all my customer projects with it.

BR, R
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: LISE and FEU

Post by Jo Morg »

As new PHP versions are released older modules are expected to either fail or have security issues that are not known right now but may become a problem, so you will be able to bide your time quite a bit depending on your hosting provider, but eventually you'll have to move on from old unmaintained modules. On the bright side FEU has already a working fork, MAMS, and there is the potential that CompanyDIrectory may have one in the future too. A word of caution: MAMS has the ability to import data from old FEU installations but FEU version has to be the latest 2.x branch, not 3.x, although you can do that manually yourself with some patience.
LISE has a module being developed that is not yet production ready and that is meant to allow frontend editing. I don't have a release date for it yet as it was initially meant to work along with FEU and it needs to be modified to work with MAMS, so there is still work to be done.
I'm not sure what is your setup and which role CD plays there, so I don't really have an alternative setup to suggest yet, but is not to say that there isn't one.

Having said that, I understand your concerns with the current state of CMSMS but we, the current Dev Team, are actively working on it. The team just got smaller, and there have been some obstacles on the road that we have been overcoming as well as we can. One good thing came out of all this: the current forks, and some of the most popular modules now have the CMS Made Simple Foundation as project administrator avoiding the need for further forks of those modules in case a developer decides to leave those projects. Not all of course as the main module developer or maintainer has to adhere to the practice of adding or inviting the foundation as an administration member of their project. We cannot, and would not even if we could, force any one to adhere to it but we encourage developers, existing and newcomers, to do so.
Things will get better, we will pickup momentum again; pretty much all of Dev Team members use CMSMS on their projects on a daily basis.
:)
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
Recon
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: LISE and FEU

Post by Recon »

Hi,

Thank you for taking time to anwer extensively. Your last sentence summed it up well. I'll wait...

BR, R

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”