WYSIWYG Template editor anyone?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
EganSolo

WYSIWYG Template editor anyone?

Post by EganSolo »

I've been on a hunt for a CMS that would allow me to build a relatively simple website with 3 static pages. The home page holds a text area, nine images, and a contact form to allow visitors to subscribe to a newsletter. The second page is a FAQ and the third page a privacy statement.

The logo, background image, header, footer, images and content for my site are all ready to go. I thought I should be able to whip that site up in less than ten hours. I thought (naively) that any CMS would do. Surprisingly, this simple site actually is a non-trivial effort in many CMSs that I have tried. By non-trivial, I mean that it required me to grasp the full structure of the themes (or templates) with no easy way to edit the layout. That includes (Drupal, Wordpress, Composr, SilverStripe, ProcessWire, Sitemagic CMS, GRACV, RedaxScript, Quick.cms, OctoberCMS, ImpressCMS, phpwcms, wondercms, BoltCMS, ConcreteCMS and Zenario). Yes, I have tried each and every one of these CMSs and now I'm trying CMS Made simple.

Of all of these (excluding CMS Made Simple), Sitemagic CMS and Zenario comes the closest. Unfortunately, SiteMagic CMS has other shortcomings and Zenario's tech requirements are beyond what a shared server offers and I don't want to go back to managing the full linux stack (been there, done that for ten years).

Here are my requirements:
  • I should be able to specify a titled image as a background for all the pages across my site quickly and easily. Oddly, this feature is available in a simple point-and-click fashion in Zenario, Drupal (depending on the theme) and to a lesser extent in ConcreteCMS
    2. I should be able to specify the number of blocks on a page and expect that the page would be responsive.
    3. I should be able to specify a header and a footer.
    4. The contact form should have some form of captcha or ways to prevent spam.
    5. I need a relatively simple email module that can send a newsletter to subscribers.
I was hoping to deploy a CMS, go to the admin section, configure the background image, logo, header and footer using simple forms, then create my content and be done with it. Like I said, at most ten hours.

I've read the docs on CMS Made Simple and it seems that in order to modify a template, I've got to learn Smarty templates and do the mods by editing the tpl files and maybe the php files. That strikes me as overkill for what I need. I went down the full list of modules, hoping to find a WYSIWYG module that would allow me to style the template without having to get knee-deep into smarty templates No dice. Does this mean that all the users of CMS Made Simple are Smarty Experts? I mean, I don't think that what I'm asking for is exotic!

Please help me find out if CMS Made Simple meets my requirements. I may be approaching the whole thing the wrong way or with the wrong perspective. Or maybe my 10 hours deal is naive? I don't know.

Thoughts?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: WYSIWYG Template editor anyone?

Post by DIGI3 »

CMS Made Simple has never aimed to be a wysiwyg pagebuilder. You must know html, css, and be willing to learn a bit of Smarty when needed. This is intentional, and CMSMS is aimed at developers. Everything you're asking for is possible, but would require a developer to set it up first. That's actually where we excel: nearly *everything* is possible, rather than being limited to the features provided.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”