Which modules to use to create a website for the sale of online courses?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
adrienj
Forum Members
Forum Members

Which modules to use to create a website for the sale of online courses?

Post by adrienj »

Hello.
For a new website for the sale of dematerialized products (sale of online courses), is it possible to use CMSMS today ?

Which module to use for user management?
  • FIRE 2.14.3.4 ?
  • FIRE 3.2.2 ?
  • MAMS 1.0 (most recent project, but seems like just a fork of FEU 2.x)
Which module to manage the products (PDF, mp3 and mp4 files) ?
  • Products ?
  • Uploads ?
  • LISE ?
Which version of PHP to use 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 or 7.4 ?

Thanks
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Which modules to use to create a website for the sale of online courses?

Post by Jo Morg »

Possible? Absolutely, one of our Dev Team members has actually developed a whole e-learning platform with CMSMS and a few other modules. Easy? well that will depend a lot on how fluent you are with CMSMS, Smarty, and possibly some PHP, in particular some UDTs that may be needed to tie everything together.
I'm not entirely sure but FEU seems to 'abandonware' atm, hence MAMS, being a fork of FEU, being the way to go. LISE is also a good option as it may be combined in a multitude of arrangements to organize courses.

PHP 7.x should be easily supported too, and all the modules and core will soon be fully PHP 8.0 compatible, so that's just matter of trial and error.

Maybe the only weak point in the setup would be the selling bit, as eCommerce in CMSMS still has it's issues. I have been working on a new eCommerce solution, already working, but still needs a lot of work and some sponsoring before being ready for wide distribution.

Maybe someone who has some experience with this may chime in with some more suggestions.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
adrienj
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by adrienj »

Thank you for your valuable feedback and your work for CMSMS.
I have made 2 websites with CMSMS and the ecommerce suite in the past (they still work today). One in the days of CMSMS 1.10 and another with CMSMS 2.1.6, it wasn't that easy, but I want to try it again.
I think I can sponsor your new eCommerce solution, can you tell me your price to complete it? Here or in private message.
Thanks.
scotch33
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by scotch33 »

Hey Adrienj,
I'm that dev that JoMorg mentioned. Feel free to pick my brains if you want. You'll find me in the slacj channel, or if you want to chat over zoom, tell me and I'll pm you a link.
:-)

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”