All the new configs (here FrontEndUsers)

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
smithdesign77
Forum Members
Forum Members

All the new configs (here FrontEndUsers)

Post by smithdesign77 »

Hey all!
I really don't intend to act too stupidly, but I've searched the web, the docs and the board up and down … I need help. :-\
In this case it's about FEU, though I guess by reading the latest announcements, that it is a very more general understanding and/or documentation thing, but let me start first and decide then:

I have a fresh installation, latest versions of all - so also the FEU module. The particular "bug" (if it was one) may of course be connected to certain software versions, etc., however my problem appears to be very much more of general nature.

So, when trying to add a user I get the error described already at http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/bug/view/12147
It really might be, that the system triggers the bug here, who knows? It's a cheaper kind of a shared hosting account, so whatever. And there also is a solution right there, I'd like to apply: Changing that mentioned value with a JSON file in the assets folder. A solution that really suits me - I love stuff like that!

However, while the FEU docs state such a JSON file "may" have been created, it wasn't. I'm not programmer enough to know by heart how a proper JSON should look like, so I went for online generators and tried different stuff, but no luck. The FEU docs also state, that additional settings alternatively may be done in the config.php - not my favorite approach, but hey - whatever works I'll take. Unfortunately the admin page breaks as soon I enter the values like the other values above are written. So, most probably, I'm just stating this "expireage_months" thing in some wrong way.
Actually I typed

Code: Select all

$config['feu_expireage_months'] = 0;
* Edit: Before it was = '0'; with the same result though.

But now I'm really stuck: I have no example for the JSON and whatever I enter into it, just nothing at all happens (and I can't even see in the admin if the JSON was found and respected at all - had errors or was simply ignored for some reason). When I go in the config.php copying, pasting and then altering an entry like from the database, etc. I break the page and have no clue why.
Huh.
Please - can anybody help me?

I'm very surprised, that I appear to be the first dude experiencing this; just like that bug report link I pasted here I'm used to find the problem I'm running into very often in some board already and often enough a good solution with it what I can use.
That's how I try to avoid unneccessary community requests - but here I couldn't find anything. :(
Makes me a little ashamed, I feel like I'm asking the most silly question ever. :-[ Please forgive, if. I'm just really totally stuck. :D
smithdesign77
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: All the new configs (here FrontEndUsers)

Post by smithdesign77 »

Okay - for some silly reason this suddenly worked:

$config['feu_expireage_months'] = '12';
Not that I hadn't tried that before (both with and without quotation marks), what was the reason why I tried 0 after all … but this line in the config works actually. :o

Still I'd be curious how the JSON setting would work. The config.php certainly is not a bad place at all, but also updated with every core update, while I guess the assets directory could be comparingly safe?

Thank you and have a good day… :)
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

/assets/configs/feu_settings.json

Untested, but I think it must be something like this (just an example):

{
  "feu_expireage_months": 12,
  "feu_disable_lostusername": false
}
smithdesign77
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by smithdesign77 »

Works indeed! Thank you!

That online generator I checked, was pre-filled with a number of different arrays and other things and one was the kind of "main name" or category in the root, before the opening "{".

I didn't think of simply leaving it empty. :-\
Great thing. As this will apply to more and other future modules too, I can remember good how this principle works - actually simple, as always. Worst case here's the solution for reference.

Again: Thank you! :-)

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”