CGBlog, detail pages and Pretty URLs

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: CGBlog, detail pages and Pretty URLs

Post by velden »

Pretty URLS
Pretty URLS are ideal for websites where search engine optimization is a real concern. It provides a shorter, friendlier URL that search engines will treat better, and that are easier to share. However they come at a cost. Particularly, many of the parameters specified in the call to CGBlog, that should be passed down to another view via a link cannot be passed on a pretty url.

For example, when pretty urls are not enabled it is possible to call the browsecat action like this: {CGBlog action=browsecat summarytemplate=somesummary detailtemplate=somedetail detailpage=mydetailpage pagelimit=25 sortby=cgblog_extra sortorder=asc}. Now when the browsecat action generates its display, including links to summary views for each category, it should pass the summarytemplate,detailtemplate,detailpage,paglimit,sortby, and sortorder parameters along on the URL For the resulting summary view to use. However, it is not possible to pass these parameters on a pretty URL, and to keep them "pretty"

To that end, it is possible to provide default values for most of these parameters via the CGBlog admin console. This however, limits the flexibility of the module in some ways. Another possibility is to use the {cge_module_hint} tag to provide behavioral hints to the module on destination pages.
Note that nowadays we have https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/tags/cms ... odule_hint included by default. I'm not sure though it will solve your specific problem because it's about the detailpage parameter.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

No, it's a 'try this first' answer :-)

If that doesn't work I'd check if it is possible to manually add the parameter to the url. But I might be missing the obvious here, I'm not a CGBlog user.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

I could imagine cms_module_hint is useful except for the detailpage parameter because I GUESS that the page needs to be already known before the cms_module_hint tag is evaluated.

Second approach could be to disable pretty urls for a moment and check how the CGBlog url with all parameters used looks. Then find and copy the part that determines the detailpage.
Enable pretty urls and try pasting that detailpage part to the url and see if it works out. If so, you know what to add to the pretty url 'manually' in your summary template.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”