URGENT: Failed FormBrowser install, backend now broken

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
nickpish

URGENT: Failed FormBrowser install, backend now broken

Post by nickpish »

Hi, I'm working on a site using CMSMS v. 1.6.6 "Bonde", and I attempted to install the FormBrowser plugin by uploading the XML file from the download page, and I received an alert that the module couldn't be installed, and now the entire backend/admin seems broken- while most components still seem to be accessible, like Pages, Templates, etc. the admin stylesheet doesn't seem to be loading, and when I attempt to access Modules, I get an 'HTTP ERROR 500'. All the site pages seem to load fine on the front-end, however, it's just the backend that seems broken.

My experience with CMSMS is very limited, so I'm not sure how to proceed in fixing this issue- any advice is most appreciated! Thank you.
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: URGENT: Failed FormBrowser install, backend now broken

Post by PinkElephant »

Hi

I can't remember the 1.* file layout but the usual thing to try is to rename or delete the problem module directory -- presumably, modules/FormBrowser in this case.

(Updating to CMSms 2.current is highly recommended).

Good luck!
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

I'm not at all surprised your install of that module failed. If you look at
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/project/files/6
you will see that your version of CMSMS, 1.6.6, was released in 2009. That's very old and is unsupported. That module will be expecting to see the latest version of the core software which is currently 2.2.5.

You should go back to your backup and start the process of upgrading, see here for how:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/old-versions

If your website is very simple, a handful of pages and one template, consider simply installing the latest version and setting up the content on that rather than upgrading.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
nickpish

Post by nickpish »

Thank you PinkElephant & Paul- regarding updating, this is a site I inherited for a small project, and in the immediate term, a full CMS update is not really feasible. At this point, I just need to fix this problem with the broken backend UI.

I'm still waiting on FTP credentials to access the site files, but assuming I can access the modules directory, should I just be able to delete the FormBuilder directory as PinkElephant suggested? I'm baffled that simply trying to import an extension would somehow break the whole backend UI presentation layer (see attached screen capture.) I can access all areas of the backend, even specific modules, but clicking on 'Extensions > Modules' itself will cause a 500 error. I'm hopeful that nothing in the database itself has been corrupted?
Admin UI after failed FormBrowser install
Admin UI after failed FormBrowser install
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Yes it is likely that following PinkElephant's advice above will get you back working again.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
nickpish

Post by nickpish »

Thanks for your prompt replies, Paul; I will report back once I can actually access the site files... :P

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”