Removing Modules Clarification

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
cpansewicz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Removing Modules Clarification

Post by cpansewicz »

Hi,

I installed a module that is not compatible with my CMS, and need to remove it. I am unable to do it through Module Manager. What I have normally done in this circumstance is to delete the actual problem module folder via ftp.

A coworker said that I should do that. And that
"deleting files without using the appropriate methods which also remove settings and entries from the database can cause all kinds of issues."

Is this true?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Removing Modules Clarification

Post by calguy1000 »

Removing a module's files (btw. it's best to just rename the folder, incase for some reason you want to put it back later) will ensure that the module does not load.

Now. If you are calling this module in your pages or page templates, or GCB's or anywhere... or if another module depends on this module, then your website will be broken until you resolve those errors.

If you are not (any longer) using this module in any way, then there should be no further issues. Though, because the module didn't have a chance to clean up after itself there may be lingering data in the database that sits there and does nothing. Normally, this won't cause a problem other than slightly increasing your PHP memory requirements (in the case of preferences) or increasing the size of your database dumps.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cpansewicz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by cpansewicz »

Thank you. Just wanted to clarify that this was the case.
cpansewicz
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by cpansewicz »

So, the module in question was ListIt2. I am now realizing it is not compatible with CMS 1.12. I did remove the module from the modules folder, but the module is still showing up in the CMS. Would there be a reason why?
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

Clear cache
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
cpansewicz
Forum Members