Cataloger & CGFeedback, comments update problem

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Cataloger & CGFeedback, comments update problem

Post by urheat »

If I use CGFeedback with Cataloger module, the comments won't show until I update the commented catalog item.

Don't know if the following helps finding the problem, but I also noticed that I have to edit catalog item, before my changes to catalog templates are visible.

CMSMS: 1.11.10
Cataloger: 0.11.3
CGFeedback: 1.6.2
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Cataloger & CGFeedback, comments update problem

Post by JohnnyB »

Its a cache thing. I *think* cataloger has some cache related settings. I'd check those out. And, uncheck the cache setting under the Item page's Options tab. Clear the cache under site maintenance and then redo the steps that caused the problem to see if that helps.
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Thanks Johnnyb,

I checked the cache settings of the cataloger module --> none

And there's no possibility to change the cache setting in the catalog item page.
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by JohnnyB »

Hmm, ok. Next thing to try is using {nocache} in your cataloger and cgfeedback templates - http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language. ... ocache.tpl

If that doesn't work, then maybe a UDT that clears the cache. Then that UDT can be added to a CGFeedback event (Event Manager under Extensions). IF there CGFeedback has an event assigned when a comment is posted, the clear cache udt will be fired, clearing the cache which should force the comment to show.
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Thanks again,

I placed {nocache} -tags into cataloger item template, but that didn't help.

I didn't know how to do the second one. In event manager there aren't event for CGFeedback. And I don't know how to write an UDT for cache clearing.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Well... yes it's a cache issue that has to be dealt with since the policy for CMSMS Forge compliant modules changed (rightfully so):
  • - Modules shouldn't be able to clear the whole cache, except for cache files generated by the module itself.
The problem has been addressed, and is pretty much solved on a (close to be released) new version of Cataloger.

However, this version has some additional functionality that was supposed to have been sponsored but, unfortunately the sponsor bailed out, and I still have to decide how much of the work will be left on the new release.

Given the fact that there is a lot of work invested here and given the imminent release of CMSMS 2.0 (which also means a deep change in Cataloger's design) I'm not sure what to do with this yet.

There will be news about this soon, as I have to make a decision in short period of time.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
chandra

Post by chandra »

By the way - where can I find the complete forge rules?
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Not easy to find indeed... :D

Here you go: http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/2011/12/Fo ... ect-Rules/
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Thanks Jo Morg,

Good to know that this is addressed and will be fixed in the future. I have a pretty big project starting and the Cataloger module is the backbone of it. I think I can manage with Products and CGFeedback, though I really like the simplicity of Cataloger - especially from the users point of view.

I know this may not be the right place to ask, but...

If I start with CMSMS 1.11.0 and Cataloger, then the CMSMS 2.0 is released and the new version of Cataloger (without cache problem). Will I have problems updating the system? Or should I wait for 2.0... and are there any info how long I have to wait?

EDIT: One solution could be Cataloger with Facebook comments?
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

urheat wrote:If I start with CMSMS 1.11.0 and Cataloger, then the CMSMS 2.0 is released and the new version of Cataloger (without cache problem). Will I have problems updating the system? Or should I wait for 2.0... and are there any info how long I have to wait?
A very recent post on the subject: http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopi ... 64#p310564
There shouldn't be no assumptions on ETA of either the Core or Cataloger, however it seems that the Dev Team of CMSMS is making all the efforts to have a beta testing cycle soon. How long after will Cataloger follow suite is hard to say atm.
Given the choice I would wait, but I know that projects don't usually wait for the latest versions to come out.
urheat wrote:One solution could be Cataloger with Facebook comments?
Never tested it myself.
JohnnyB wrote:If that doesn't work, then maybe a UDT that clears the cache. Then that UDT can be added to a CGFeedback event (Event Manager under Extensions). IF there CGFeedback has an event assigned when a comment is posted, the clear cache udt will be fired, clearing the cache which should force the comment to show.
That sounds like something that would surely work, and if you research a bit shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.
urheat
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by urheat »

Thanks Jo and JohnnyB!
Tetsuo
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Tetsuo »

Try this to auto clear the cache when changes are made to Cataloger (or other) Content pages:

Extensions > User Defined Tags
Create a tag called "clear_cache":

Code: Select all

removed
Then go to Extensions > Event Manager > Find the ContentEditPost Event > add "clear_cache" as the last order event.

Now when the user makes a change to a page, the cache will be flushed.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Tetsuo wrote:Try this to auto clear the cache when changes are made to Cataloger (or other) Content pages:

Extensions > User Defined Tags
Create a tag called "clear_cache":

Code: Select all

removed
Then go to Extensions > Event Manager > Find the ContentEditPost Event > add "clear_cache" as the last order event.

Now when the user makes a change to a page, the cache will be flushed.
IIRC JohnnyB posted a similar, if not the same, solution and was deleted by some moderator without even an explanation. IMO it's a perfectly legit solution, not a hack.
Just my two cents....
zaidcrowe
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by zaidcrowe »

I guess it could be deemed a hack as it clears the entire sites cache for the sake of a comment submission.

On a hi traffic site - or just a blog post where a conversation is maybe happening "real time" - this is a little ...I guess wasteful is the right term.

TBH - i'd still use it, at least until I knew it was causing a problem.

Deleting the post with no explanation definitely not helpful!
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

zaidcrowe wrote:I guess it could be deemed a hack as it clears the entire sites cache for the sake of a comment submission.
Well... you are just automating something you'd have to do manually anyway, at least until the module is fixed...

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”