Real Estate website - How to do this?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
Edwin_IandD
Forum Members
Forum Members

Real Estate website - How to do this?

Post by Edwin_IandD »

Hello all,

I have been asked to do a website for a real estate agent. As a big fan of CMSMS I would like to stick to using that. However, I don't know how to do what I would like to do.. Let me explain:

Every property on the website will have it's own page, simple enough.. It would be great if I could find a way where the estate agent can simply fill in a few standard things like the name of the house, address, price, number of rooms etc. etc. This could be nicely laid out on the frontside. However that is not my main problem, pretty sure I will find a solution for that with a bit of googling.

My main problem is that I am looking for a way to list all these properties with some basic information and an introduction on a seperate page (or pages with pagination).
I don't want the estate agent to do all this himself on a separate page. Ideally it would take all the information from the individual property pages and if that isn't possible the next possibility would be that there is an extra content box on each property page that will also be displayed on the list page.

The next thing would be that I would like any search result to be displayed in exactly the same way...

Obviously I do want it to work and look very slick, we're probably going to be up against at least one other webdesigner who is looking for the job, so it's important to be able to do things the right way!

If anybody has any idea on how to achieve this I would be very grateful!

Many thanks,
Edwin

I have included an image to make myself a bit clearer.
uniqu3

Re: Real Estate website - How to do this?

Post by uniqu3 »

You can use ListItExtended, CompanyDirectory, Products or News for this kind of listing.
Each of these modules offers Summary pages, which would be listing of Properties, categories and detail pages.
All you have to do is add extra fields you need and create templates the way you want them.
allan1412
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by allan1412 »

I did something similar to this last year using the excellent ListIt (v1.2) and it worked very well. The only issue I couldn't resolve was sorting the properties by price because ListIt stores all the fields as text - if anyone knows how to do this I'd be grateful.
I'm planning to do an update on the site later this year with the newest ListIt2 (which is much improved) and hope there will be a way round this.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

allan1412 wrote:The only issue I couldn't resolve was sorting the properties by price because ListIt stores all the fields as text - if anyone knows how to do this I'd be grateful.
How about creating a new field to store the prices with a suitable fixed number of digits, e.g.:

£ 285,000 would be stored as 0285000
£ 87,950 would be stored as 0087950
£ 1,250,000 would be stored as 1250000

Then you could sort by that field.
allan1412
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by allan1412 »

Thanks Paul - very neat and much appreciated. I'll give that a go and see how the client gets on with it.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”