Another menu system with subpages in different menu

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
sig
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sig »

Hi!

I would like to see another menu option in which the children menu of a parent page open up in a different menu.

What I mean is that only those with parent = 0 are shown in the main menu. I'm currently using a horizontal menu on the top of the page, and don't want see the subpages under the main headers. When I choose a page (e.g. page_id = 3), its children pages (parent_id = current page id) would be available for example in another tag like {submenu}.

I'm not sure if this can be done with dhtmlmenu, but I would like to use pure HTML menu for this. Tried working on this for some time, but could not figure out a proper solution. Shouldn't be too hard, I guess...
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Another menu system with subpages in different menu

Post by Ted »

sig wrote:Hi!

I would like to see another menu option in which the children menu of a parent page open up in a different menu.

What I mean is that only those with parent = 0 are shown in the main menu. I'm currently using a horizontal menu on the top of the page, and don't want see the subpages under the main headers. When I choose a page (e.g. page_id = 3), its children pages (parent_id = current page id) would be available for example in another tag like {submenu}.

I'm not sure if this can be done with dhtmlmenu, but I would like to use pure HTML menu for this. Tried working on this for some time, but could not figure out a proper solution. Shouldn't be too hard, I guess...
Take a look at this ticket: http://trac.wishy.org/cms/ticket/64

Could you imagine something like this working for this particular instance? Even if you have to put one in the template, and one in the page.

Maybe menu's need to be more intelligent as to know what page they are on and display things accordingly.

The menu system needs work, that's for sure. We really need to unify how they should work in the very near future.

wishy
sig
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sig »

I guess that would be suitable for my request. The current page id must be passed to the function as the start element in order to get all the subpages. Of course this could be done by getting the page title from the GET variable and then executing a sql query which gets the page id or the subpages.

As another suggestion, to ease the navigation, there should be somekind of a breadcrumb thingie (such as Home > Products > Product category 1).
johnp

Another menu

Post by johnp »

Just as sig points out I would like to see an alternative menu system.

It could either be a horizontal or a vertical menu, both types with submenus. If these two types, as sig requests, could be combined would be smashing. With a breadcrumb on top of that, this CMS would really rock.

Could the menu be saved to a static or cached file that is included (using required or required_once) on every page? In that case, as soon as anybody changes the menu content it would be exported to a menu file. In that case your not relying on the browser caps for displaying the menus (as javascript is used).

To be a bit modular there could be not one but many menu files to be included, where each menu file contain links and is named by the parentid of those links. For example, the root menu in the default installation would be located in

menu-0.inc.php

where one would find links to the Homepage and Admin. In the file

menu-1.inc.php

there would be links to the FAQ, Contact us and SVC (as in the default installation).

This last file could also include the root menu file, ie require_once(menu-o.inc.php), so that the whole structure becomes visible. That would ease the generation of the menu files as well.

Just a thought
// John

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”