CSS Multi-Level Navs?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
fred!head

CSS Multi-Level Navs?

Post by fred!head »

Hi,

I just stumbled on CMS Made Simple and I'm amazed. It's clean and easy to install. However, I had one question that I'm hoping someone will know the answer to more easily than me hacking a solution.

How difficult would it be to add to the DHTML navigation module, or create a new module based somehow on that module, that displays navigation as HTML unordered lists with CSS styling to make the nav vertical or horizontal?

If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out this URL with lots of code examples:

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

However, the best implementation of multi-level navigation using CSS and unordered lists that I've seen so far is in a book by Eric Meyer, More Eric Meyer on CSS (I highly recommend it, despite the price), but you can see the code at his book website at this URL:

http://more.ericmeyeroncss.com/projects/06/

Meyer uses an include behavior (.htc) file to "fix" problems IE browsers have with some of the CSS hover behavior.

In any event, I would like to have this capability because to my taste it is cleaner code more easily maintained by some of my clients that are more comfortable with CSS than Javascript and DHTML. It would make CMS Made Simple a terrific alternative to Contribute in many ways.

I'll be curious to hear feedback, if any, on whether you believe this to be a useful extension or alternative to the DHTML and javascript menus provided currently.

Thanks!
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

CSS Multi-Level Navs?

Post by Ted »

Take a look at the bulletmenu plugin that's included. Just change {cms_module module='phplayers'} to {bulletmenu} in your template. I'm pretty sure that should be close to the kind of markup that you're looking for.

Thanks for the kind words and let me know how it turns out.
fred!head

Thanks! What about grandchild links...?

Post by fred!head »

Thanks Wishy. I imagine you knew that all along! 8-)

I see, however, that bulletmenu displays only the parent and child menu levels, not grandchild or lower. I'd need that to do the full CSS dropdown nav thing. I look at the Plug-Ins page and don't see any way to specify levels to display for bulletmenu. Any ideas would be helpful.

Tim
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

CSS Multi-Level Navs?

Post by Ted »

In 0.9.1, which should be released this morning, the "collapsing" is now an option and is defaulted to off so that it will display the whole tree.
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

CSS Multi-Level Navs?

Post by Greg »

For some very interesting concepts around simple menu creation using CSS take a look here !! CSS Playground

The ideas on layouts are great as well.
Should be simple to implement in CMS Made Simple. :D
Greg

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”