[solved]separate username and email fields in FrontEndUsers

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
jpatti
Forum Members
Forum Members

[solved]separate username and email fields in FrontEndUsers

Post by jpatti »

I tried posting this question last night, but it seems to have disappeared...

I'm working on a local install on Xammp on XP. My CMSMS System Information says I have FEU 1.12.13 but I installed it manually from a download of FrontEndUsers-1.12.14.tar.gz so... I'm honestly not certain exactly which version I have here. MY Module Manager does not show a newer verison available, so guess it's safe to say I have the newest, whichever number it is!

I have a live site running an older vertsion, and in the preferences of feusers, there is a preference "Email address is username" which does not seem to exist on this newer version. I am building a site which needs the userid and email to be separate fields as the user needs a searchable name visible to other feusers but the email should remain private and just be for admin use.

I couldn't figure it out from the database tables which didn't seem to have anything like an email field, so poked around in the code until I found the GetEmail function in FrontEndUsers.api.php and saw how the email is being stored in the case where the username_is_email preference is not set, that the code is treating it like all the fields I setup.

And I poked around a bit more until I found that preference is being hard-coded in the method.install.php file.

I could either rewrite the GetEmail function to not have the case based on the prefernece or comment out the bit where the preference is set to get this to work the way I need to, but... I guess my question is what can I expect from future development of this module? Is this stuff just left in for backwards-compatibility and the preference will go away permanently eventually?

My concern is... in the self registration module, there are smarty variables $name $username and $email, and I want to be able to use those, and possible other modules dependent on feusers, so want to make the least change possible to get things to do what I need them to. In short, I don't want to rewrite every module I might ever want that is based on FEusers.

Or should I just go to an earlier version of FEusers?

Advice about how to handle this?
Last edited by jpatti on Thu May 12, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: separate username and email fields in FrontEndUsers 1.12

Post by calguy1000 »

wow... alot of time and effort expended... You could've saved yourself lots of time by:
a: Following forum rules.
b: Looking at the frontend users module for the options available.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jpatti
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: separate username and email fields in FrontEndUsers 1.12

Post by jpatti »

The Module Help says:
Note: New installations of the FEU module specify that the users email address is their username (this option can be changed in the preferences tab). So if using this option you will not need to create an email address property.
But it's not there; screenshot:
FEUadminscreenshot.gif
And yeah, I did follow through a lot of the code to figure this out. Time-consuming, but not painful.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: [solved]separate username and email fields in FrontEndUs

Post by calguy1000 »

The option is available... Documentation is a bit out of date.. but only a bit.
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a6cw9rd5
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jpatti
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: [solved]separate username and email fields in FrontEndUs

Post by jpatti »

I went through those tabs multiple times, dunno how I missed it. Sheesh.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”