Suggestion about News module

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
westis

Suggestion about News module

Post by westis »

Hi,

As I have used Mambo/Joomla before there is one thing I'm missing with the News module. I would find it very useful if there is an option to for example show the latest three (or whatever number the administrator selects) news items with summary and then a selected number of links with only the title of the news item (and possibly date too).

I use this for this site (http://www.kisima.org/Mambo, the news are under the heading "Aktuellt") that I've used Mambo to build, but am thinking of moving to CMSMS. Or is there a way to accomplish this with CMSMS already?
iNSiPiD

Re: Suggestion about News module

Post by iNSiPiD »

This can be accomplished already.

Add the module call to your page template or eve in your page like this:

e.g. {cms_module module="news" number="3"}    \\ Show 3 most recent articles

Now go to menu Content->News, then select the Summary Template tab. This is the default template.

You could modify it slightly by removing the lines which display summary and/or content and you woul dbe left with just title/link and date. I've added some cutom CSS classes so you can see how to style the result.

e.g.

{foreach from=$items item=entry}

{$entry->titlelink}

{if $entry->postdate}
{$entry->postdate|date_format}
{/if}

{/foreach}
westis

Post by westis »

Thanks, iNSiPiD.

Yes, that's how I've done already at www.kisima.org/cmsmadesimple. But as I remove the summary lines from the summary template I can only show the links. What I'd like to is to BOTH show the summary for let's say the last three news items AND the link only for the following five or so. To accomplish that one more display mode needs to be available, I suppose.

I suppose that one also needs to alter the php code, like the foreach loop that you describe, to first show loop through the selected number of items that are supposed to be shown with summary and then loop through the selected number of items that are to be shown as links only. But my php skills really don't stand up to my ambitions... ;-)
iNSiPiD

Post by iNSiPiD »

Hehe. You're not alone in that.

Anyone now any decent self-paced courses in practical PHP? :)

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”