Calendar Support for Recurring Events

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
kdallman

Calendar Support for Recurring Events

Post by kdallman »

I was browsing the forums looking for a solution to the lack of recurring events in the calendar module. I came upon a church website in the CMS Show Off forum (http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... l#msg40989) which has accomplished something similar to what I am looking for. However, I want to enable recurring events directly in the standard monthly calendar alongside my one-time events rather than having them display only in a separate weekly view. Unfortunately, I understand very little PHP and am unable to accomplish this on my own. I have been able to incorporate some of the appropriate code but only with partial success.

I know many people have been frustrated by the calendar's lack of recurring events and thought someone might be interested in helping out those of us who are PHP challenged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FantomCircuit
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Calendar Support for Recurring Events

Post by FantomCircuit »

I may need to do this for an upcomming project. As I see it, the following will need to be done:
  • Add column to event database for group id - this is so that if we want we can edit or delete all the recurring events at once
  • Add admin form field for how it recurs (monthly, weekly, daily, yearly)
  • Add admin form field for how long it will recur for (date in the future or 'forever' (really jan 1 2038 or whatever))
  • Modify event adding logic to add many events at once based on the reucring field selection (montly, daily, yearly)
  • Modify event editing logic so that all events with the same group id are updated as well (if an option to change all events is checked)
  • Modify event deletion logic so that all events with the same group id are deleted as well (if the option is checked to do so)
I think this should be able to cover all situations in which this would be used. 

Once I make the modifications I will post them here. (should be within the next 2 weeks or so)
kierweb
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by kierweb »

I need something like this as well --- I setting up a night club website and would like the weekly events to update dynamically i.e. Tonight's event etc etc
FantomCircuit
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by FantomCircuit »

I'm starting this now. should be finished in an hour or by tomorrow. Ill post up the differences when done.
deejmer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by deejmer »

This is great...I'd LOVE to see this implemented.  I know a lot of people have been asking for this.  Maybe I can help test to make this go faster!

Thanks in advance.
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

I think this is feature, that is needed by many people, so I think it is good candidate for cofunding FantomCircuit for programming it. Unfortunately I haven't personally much to offer, since I am student, working for NGOs on non-commercial basis. But I can offer 10$. Who will be next?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

I'd do it.... once I have time, for a fee (since I don't need it at this time for work).  I estimate about 7 hours work (ish), so about $525.

if you can raise the pledges, I'd be happy to do it.  and as always, I would probably throw in a few fixes that 'just irritate me' for free.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

Thanks Calguy for offer. I hope that it's interesting for more people here.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

fundable.org is a good place to set up ransomware things like this. 
lets hope it flies.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
deejmer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by deejmer »

I can help put a small dent of $15 in that price....
streever

Post by streever »

calguy,

let's get that fundable info out there on the site: I mean, this would be the ONLY CMS doing this, where members can donate a small amount to get improvements made.

I really like the idea. It would make this even more awesome....
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

Streever,
please look at my thread on this idea. I strated it beacause I believe I found better alternative.

Milhaus
ameagher
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ameagher »

Hi All,

I'm interested in what happened to the recurring events addon?

Is it dead?

Has someone completed it?

Will it be realeased to the community?

anthony
deejmer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by deejmer »

ameagher wrote: Hi All,

I'm interested in what happened to the recurring events addon?

Is it dead?

Has someone completed it?

Will it be realeased to the community?

anthony
Yea, FantomCircuit, you said you were starting on this?  Did you actually get to start coding?

Thanks.
FantomCircuit
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by FantomCircuit »

Yep, started and had to leave it by the way side for a bit (I have been really really swamped at work for the past few weeks.)

I have uploaded the new files here: http://graniteoctopus.com/Calendar.zip

It's probably a good idea to uninstall any old Calendar installations and install this one. The only changes I have made to the install script is to add a new column after event_date_end called event_parent_id (INT), which is used to keep track of which child events belong to which parent events.

To add a recurring event click the Add Event link in the admin area of the calendar module. From here you can choose how you want it to recur (No recurrance, weekly, daily etc), and for how long to recur for (any date in the future).

The way I have coded this is so that if you add a recuring event, it adds any other necessary events as child events of the main parent event. This way, if you edit a parent event, it will go through and update any child events as well. If you want to edit a specific child event, simply click on it in the admin area and edit; it won't change any other events. Deleteing occurs in the same way. Child events are indented in the admin list to keep them out of the way.

Im not sure if this was the best way to do it, but I wanted to make as few changes as possible to the code base.

Let me know how you guys go. I hope it helps someone. I will be using it in a production environment from today, so if I find any problems I will update the file here as well for everyone else.

Updated file as I had left some testing output in there still  ;)
Updated again: editing events was not working reliabley (miss-spelt variable names  ::)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”