Old Uploads module

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
woodb

Old Uploads module

Post by woodb »

I just started using using this CMS and I'm really liking it so far, mostly for my home website.  I'd like to start using it for our company Intranet, but I'm needing some functionality that either doesn't exist or I don't know how to do it (remember I'm a newbie).  Our department posts weekly highlights to a common location (It's been a mapped drive on the server), but I'd like to be able to have them post them right on the website.  Looking through the User contributed Modules Wiki, I found a module called "Uploads".  It appears to be written for version .0.8.2 ( I'm using .1)  I haven't been able to get it to work.  Is there a better way?  We have many similar needs for this (posting minutes from phone conferences/dept. meetings and such).  Most users don't need to be able to edit the site, just post a file.  In fact teaching them (even as easy as cmsmadesimple is)(or creating a userid for them) is overkill. 

Thanks,
Brian
woodb

Re: Old Uploads module

Post by woodb »

Thanks for the reply.  I work for a very large company with users all around the world.  For what the users would be doing it wouldn't be worth creating a user ID for every person to post a weekly highlight or meeting minutes.  I really like the file manager for my website, but in this case I'd like to be able to upload files like adding comments to a page.  Each post should only take up one line. Here's what I'd like to see:
Weekly Highlights
week1.doc  by user1  date 1/1/05
week2.doc by userx  date 1/1/05
week3.doc by usery  date 1/7/07
    |click here to upload file|

Each time the user added a file it would build the link displaying the information listed above. The user field doesn't have to be genereated by a logged in user, they could just type their name in.  Plus each of the files would be a link to the file that was uploaded.)

Thanks again,
Brian
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I'm slowly trying to rewrite an Uploads module as a replacement for the modules and plugins downloads on the wiki.  Needless to say, it's been a slow process as I always get tied up with other things.  I'll keep banging away at it, but I definatly can't promise anything.
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

A solution may be here  http://autoindex.sourceforge.net/
The main index.php file could sit in a root directory, each user could have a sub-directory they upload their files to, create a link to the index.php file on the  CMSMS pages, the index.php file automatically builds links in all the sub-directories. I have a similar solution here.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”