CGBetterForms Honeypot

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

CGBetterForms Honeypot

Post by johnboyuk1 »

The honeypot function doesnt seem to work for me, wondering if its a bug, or of there's something I need to do to get it working?

It says in the help that it has a built in honeypot, and indeed, when my form is rendered on the front end there is a hidden form field called '__hpname'... but if this field is filled in with text, the form still submits ok. The idea with the honeypot is this shouldn't happen.

The help file doesn't mention anything I need to set up to make this work, I wonder if anyone else has had this trouble/knows a solution ?

Thanks !
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: CGBetterForms Honeypot

Post by DIGI3 »

I think it used to work, but I just tested and it doesn't seem to. You may wish to file a BR, but I don't think the dev is currently active.

You can make your own basic honeypot by adding a hidden field with a name likely to be filled out by bots (e.g. "your_address"), then using one of two methods to catch it:

the Validate via a Smarty Template validator with something like:
{if $your_address}Go away bots{/if}

This method will advise the visitor if they were caught by the honeypot. May be a bit less effective, but prevents false-positives for people using auto form fill plugins.

the Stop processing dispositions based on a condition handler, with just the field value in it:
{$your_address}

This second method will still allow the form to be submitted, but will prevent any of the handlers below it from firing. It should go at the top, perhaps below any logging handlers if you want to track them.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
johnboyuk1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CGBetterForms Honeypot

Post by johnboyuk1 »

Great - thanks for this DIGI3

Have tried your first method and seems to work in testing! Lets see if it helps cut down spam, trying to avoid adding a full on captcha thing as find them annoying!

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”