Best method to replicate Joomla Modules

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
cjstudio

Best method to replicate Joomla Modules

Post by cjstudio »

So, I've used Joomla for many years (making templates and extensions for my sites) and am now getting the hang of this CMS. A module in this system seems similar to a Joomla component. The plugins look a lot like Joomla content plugins (which tie into event triggers and can push output).

I'm trying to replicate the "classic" Joomla module in this system. A Joomla module (similar to a WordPress widget) is a content block that is rendered outside of the main page content; Joomla modules also have backend settings that determine placement, publication state, etc. Specifically, I am developing a login "module" for the ElkeArte forum (an SMF fork) which would require a PHP include of the SSI.php file before any page output. I'd like to be able to render this as an independent element in the page sidebar, and not tied to the menu (planning on showing it on every page).

Given this, which addon type would be more appropriate - module or plugin? Thanks!
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Best method to replicate Joomla Modules

Post by velden »

You may find this tutorial useful: https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/uploads/ ... torial.pdf
The first chapter compares plugins and modules.
cjstudio

Re: Best method to replicate Joomla Modules

Post by cjstudio »

I've downloaded the PDF and will be reading it shortly. Thanks!

Return to “Developers Discussion”