Weird module behaviour

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
DavidJessurun

Weird module behaviour

Post by DavidJessurun »

Hi all,

I'm working through the new module manual, and I noticed some odd behaviour I've seen before:

I upload the files direct to my dev server (Ubuntu) over FTP.

Trying to install a module, in this case really just the example code up to the step of adding the install and uninstall methods, by clicking on 'install' leads to either a blank screen or to what looks like an entirely crashed CMS. I noticed this with modules that I downloaded, too.

Sometimes manually removing the module's folder, and uploading it again fixes it.

So my gut feeling is this is something that happens after SQL queries are run. Maybe a bad response or something?

Anyone seen this happen and any clue in what direction to look?

Greetz.
DD.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Weird module behaviour

Post by calguy1000 »

If you are writing a module or developing a website, you MUST have access to the error logs to see what is happening.
I upload the files direct to my dev server (Ubuntu) over FTP.
Sometimes manually removing the module's folder, and uploading it again fixes it.
As a developer why are you using FTP? I suggest you either setup a local development environment so you can actually develop and test quickly, OR find a server that supports it, and learn to use SSH and editors like nano/vi/emacs etc. But local development is always faster and easier.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
DavidJessurun

Post by DavidJessurun »

Um, yeah... my work setup really isn't what I was asking about though.

I don't generally do dev work, so when I do need to solve an issue real quick I find it's more work to setup all that stuff than to just go in and fix whatever's the issue.

The server supports SSH, I said FTP more as a generic... I use SFTP with FileZilla, and I use an editor regularly, thanks. But I prefer to do the coding on my home box, not a terminal window.
DavidJessurun

Post by DavidJessurun »

Not to sound hostile or anything ;) It's just that I thought this was weird behavior, I'd seen it before from plugins that are well-established, and I wondered if others saw it too and if this is something from my end or more general.

Rather than I post everything, let me know which logs you think are relevant. I have full access to the system. It's remote because I'm not the only person in my company working on the same project at the same time and I live in a very remote location.
Jeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeff »

The reason he mentions your setup is that it could be caused by corrupted files using FTP.

An errors that result for the 'Install' click are relevant.

One thing that I have noticed is sometimes there are time-out issue when installing modules.

Return to “Developers Discussion”