Questions before switching...

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
MV

Post by MV »

I'm still fairly new to CMS. I have very limited knowledge in php, but verse in HTML. I've been using e107 CMS, but it doesn't fit the style of my site and CMS MS seems to. It'll be a content related site with new updated "articles" and blog, and of course content pages.

I have a few questions before deciding to switch or not.

Since I don't know anything about php, how easy is it for me to port over a .psd template design to this CMS (if it's possible)? Pretty much, would it be "simple" enough for me to design my own layout?

I'm sure CMS MS is still new as it is pre-version 1.0, but an in-depth user guide would be helpful for beginners.

I like the simple layout, so this could be a possibility. I've looked at other CMS and they're pretty much portals and blogs. :?

Thanks.
MV

Post by MV »

Also, do are there templates available for use/modification? This would help me learn the in's and out's easier. Thanks again.
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

You are definately at the right site. I tried a few other CMS apps and found most have very pre-defined layouts and content templates. CMS Made Simple is very flexible in terms of layout and content type. I am using this CMS on a site were a group of people with limited html experience will be maintaining their own pages.
Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Questions before switching...

Post by Ted »

MV wrote:Since I don't know anything about php, how easy is it for me to port over a .psd template design to this CMS (if it's possible)? Pretty much, would it be "simple" enough for me to design my own layout?
If you can make html/xhtml out of that PSD, then you can make a template. Templates in CMS are nothing special. Just html with a couple of tags thrown in to replace some things. Taking a look at the template for the default site should pretty much explain how it works. There are only really 3 or 4 tags worth noting unless you're getting compilcated.
MV wrote:I'm sure CMS MS is still new as it is pre-version 1.0, but an in-depth user guide would be helpful for beginners.
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons why it's still pre-1.0. I feel it doesn't deseve that version number until there is ample documentation and major bugs and architecture flaws are worked out.
MV wrote:I like the simple layout, so this could be a possibility. I've looked at other CMS and they're pretty much portals and blogs. :?
Yeah, that's why we're here. To be able to make a "static" site manageable from the web. Surprisingly, it's something most other CMS systems don't do.
MV wrote:Also, do are there templates available for use/modification? This would help me learn the in's and out's easier. Thanks again.
Well, just the template for the default site at the moment, though looking at it, it pretty much explains itself.

I hope that helps. This is one of those kinds of apps that needs to be installed to see how it works (especially with no real user manual). The community here is pretty good about answering questions and should be able to help you out if it doesn't all make sense right away.

Enjoy!
MV

Post by MV »

That's great to hear.

Since I already have another CMS installed, is it possible to install this one as well without conflicting the databases? (I would assume so.) It'll be in a folder than the root directory so I can just experiment with it.

I'll have more questions later. Maybe they can be used towards the documentary and such. :wink:
Bewbs

Post by Bewbs »

ive been designing templates for cmsms since 0.3 i think and it is truly a wonderful program to design for
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Sure. Just put CMS in a subdirectory and install from there. All of the table in the database will use the prefix cms_ by default, but that can be changed so that it won't conflict with any other tables in that same database.
MV

Post by MV »

Instead of creating a new thread for every question I have, I'll just ask it here. Hope it's okay.

I've just installed the CMS in a folder. I'm exploring the in's and out's of the system. As it is in a folder, I am wondering if/when I transfer the files from the "test" folder to the root directory, will the link to the database be broken? And will that cause any other problems? If so, is it easly fixed? OR is there a safe way to transfer the files? (I'm thinking of just moving the files from the folder to the root with my ftp client.)

I want to know now before I get to far along on the site and end up having to re-install and redo everything over again.

This system looks promising. Can't wait to see it get further along.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

The only thing that you would have to do is modify the paths in config.php to point to the right directory.

Return to “Developers Discussion”