FileBackup 0.1 beta is out

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

FileBackup 0.1 beta is out

Post by blast2007 »

Hi all,
I've just released  FileBackup 0.1 beta, my first module for CMSMS.

This module provides an interface to backup the entire CMSMS files tree using tar command included in most linux distributions.
It can restore entire CMSMS files tree to the state at the time the backups was made.

If MysqlDump file is present the modules will backup everything (Files Tree + DB).

You can use FileBackup for cloning all data of a CMSMS server to another from web page, without using a shell.

Please report bugs and comment.
Regards
blast
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: FileBackup 0.1 beta is out

Post by blast2007 »

Post with 85 view, 20 file downloads  and still no comments? Is this module unuseful?  :o

Regards
blast
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

I did download it and install it. After that I checked the things I had to do and thought, "I'll do that after the weekend".

It started with the directory for script "/bin". I didn't know quickly what to put there, as I run on an ISP, where deep, deep is my site, so I had no idea what to do with that, even if it will work at all....

So, if there is more time to check/set-up or information, I'll continu.....

Ronny
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by blast2007 »

RonnyK wrote: It started with the directory for script "/bin". I didn't know quickly what to put there, as I run on an ISP, where deep, deep is my site, so I had no idea what to do with that, even if it will work at all....
Hi Ronny,
thanks for your reply.

When you start for the first time, FileBackup search the path of tar binaries automatically and suggest in form field. When you save configuration it checks if path is working. If the path isn't correct you'll see an error while saving configuration, otherwise you can continue and backup/restore your files.
Regards
blast
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

But what does TAR binaries do in /bin. Is that relatively within the CMSMS-root installation, or from the server-root. I don't have access at the server root, as that is the ISP area. I only have access at domain-level and down. If you say that the "/bin" works from domain down, I'll give it a try.

Ronny
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by blast2007 »

Yes, you're right Ronny, I always assume CMSMS installed on own server with full permissions.
Now I will check also on my host provider if it works correcty and how to correct if failed.

Thanks for your report.
blast
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by blast2007 »

I've just tested, and I can confirm that FileBackup works also with my host provider  where I have very low permissions on system. ;)

FileBackup can use tar located in /bin in a hosted (virtual) web space.

Just set the right permission on directories and it start works.

Regards
blast
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

OK, I just started the backup and it worked. (I didn't reload by the way as I don't have FTP access to transfer)

Ronny

One other thing, what happens with the rights of the different files within a tar-file. Are they included, and will they be restored as well, or do you have to set them again?
Last edited by RonnyK on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

One other question, why do you mention the "MySQL dump" instead of f.e. "Backup". I use the

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/databasebackup/

on my sites. Is there an advantage in using MySQL dump instead.

Ronny
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by blast2007 »

RonnyK wrote: OK, I just started the backup and it worked. (I didn't reload by the way as I don't have FTP access to transfer)
You don't need FTP access to transfer!!!
You can click on filebackup-xxxxxxxx.tgz linked at the end of the backup page, and download from web page via normal HTTP transfer. So pay attention to delete file after download complete because backup file is located in a public accessible page.
RonnyK wrote: One other thing, what happens with the rights of the different files within a tar-file. Are they included, and will they be restored as well, or do you have to set them again?
Command tar -cpvfz preserve the right permissions for each file so it will be a perfect working copy when restored.

RonnyK wrote: One other question, why do you mention the "MySQL dump" instead of f.e. "Backup". I use the

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/databasebackup/

on my sites. Is there an advantage in using MySQL dump instead.
I meanMysqlBackup sorry MysqlDump.
You can use every mysql backup software you want if it save a  .SQL dump in CMSMS tree.

Regards
blast
Last edited by blast2007 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

No, your "MySQL Dump" was the correct name of one of the backup modules, I was only asking why specifically that one. I don't know which one is best, so for now I'm using the other one. I was hoping you could give me a reason to switch to the other one, if that one is better.

I now see that I can download the file, but only after creating, I can't find a link for the previous backup (I can restore).

Thanks for clarifying the rights issue.

One other small remark, you mention that the file is visible in a public folder. If I browse the folder directly, I see no files listed, just an empty page. How can it be public then?

Ronny
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Blast,

I think the module is great and easy to use, if there is a way to edit the config.php from within the backend, FTP wouldn't be needed at all. The transfer of a domain would than be easily done, with the use of this module, with no file transferring necessary.

Ronny
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Ronny I've used the backup module for quite a while, but it broke in 1.1... :(
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Thanks Mark,

I used the Backup module as well on the on the older versions. As there are more modules doing the same things, in this case
"mySQL dump" and "Backup" I was wondering why he choose the first one. I knew you used the second as I do (I read your posts  ;) ). If I want a new module it's always hard to know which one is best, as there are more. I often choose the one highest ranked, but that's hardly a real choice.....

Ronny
blast2007
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by blast2007 »

RonnyK wrote: One other small remark, you mention that the file is visible in a public folder. If I browse the folder directly, I see no files listed, just an empty page. How can it be public then?
If you point your browser at http://www.yoursite.com/admin/backup/tg ... _xx_xx.tgz you can download your backup from webpage.

There is a blank index page, but I think that is dangerous to left tgz backup in directory because it could be tracked by spider and /or bot and someone could try with many and many attemps to download it with  "filebackup+random pattern".

If you think to leave backup files in directory you can add .htaccess file for download control.
Last edited by blast2007 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Developers Discussion”