New site with gallery

Post links to sites running CMS in all its glory.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

New site with gallery

Post by velden »

Today launched this site: https://tinyurl.com/o94a82d

Design is from design company mentioned in the footer.

First: content of homepage is NOT editable by editor. This was on request to make it a little cheaper.

I like to show how I created some things in the backend which might be helpful for others. So I will show something about the Gallery (page: Fiesta).

It has 4 different 'layouts' for the pictures which will repeat.
Those 4 'types' each have their own size, position and background.
show_off_photos.jpg
As the Gallery module only allows for one size per Gallery template I use CGSmartImage (cgsi) to resize the photos.

Because I never used cgsi's aliases before I thought I should try and it works nice and keeps code a little cleaner.

So I set up 4 aliases:
show_off_cgsi_aliases.jpg
Then I created a template which actually isn't that difficult after all:

Code: Select all

{* assign this pages url to variable so we don't have to call it on every iteration while it doesn't change *}
{cms_selflink href=$page_alias assign='thispageurl'}
{* urlencode the url *}
{$thispageurl=$thispageurl|escape:'url'}

<div id="photo-gallery" class="group center">
{foreach from=$images item=image}

{* There are 4 photo types. We could use the modulo operator on the foreach loop but as I need the number itself anyway I'm gonna use the smarty cycle tag *}
{cycle values='1,2,3,4' assign='ptype'}

{* aliases are used for the different settings per photo type to be used with CGSmartImage. Four aliases are created in CGSmartImage settings: alias_1, alias_2, alias_3 and alias_4 *}
{$alias = 'alias_'|cat:$ptype}

{* every div containing a photo type has its own class: photo-1, photo-2, photo-3 or photo-4 *}
<div id="image-{$image->fileid}" class="photo photo-{$ptype}">

{* resize the photos according to settings of alias for this photo type *}
  {CGSmartImage src=$image->file alias1=$alias noembed=1 alt=$image->title}

<div class="photo-caption">
	  <div class="photo-caption-text">{$image->title}</div>
	  <div class="photo-social group">
{* social share stuff *}
<ul class="group">

{* facebook *}
<li class="facebook"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u={$thispageurl}%3Fimg%3D{$image->fileid}" target="_blank"><i></i></a></li>

{* twitter *}
<li class="twitter"><a href="https://twitter.com/home?status={$image->title|escape:'url'}%0A{$thispageurl}%3Fimg%3D{$image->fileid}" target="_blank"><i></i></a></li>

{* linkedin *}
<li class="linkedin"><a href="http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url={$thispageurl}%3Fimg%3D{$image->fileid}&title={$image->title|escape:'url'}&source={sitename|escape:'url'}" target="_blank"><i></i></a></li>

{* google plus *}
<li class="google"><a href="https://plus.google.com/share?url={$thispageurl}%3Fimg%3D{$image->fileid}" target="_blank"><i></i></a></li>

{* pinterest *}
<li class="pinterest"><a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url={$thispageurl}%3Fimg%3D{$image->fileid}&media={root_url|escape:'url'}%2F{$image->file|escape:'url'}&description={$image->title|escape:'url'}" target="_blank"><i></i></a></li>
</ul>
	  </div>
  </div>
</div>
{/foreach}
</div>
Disadvantage of this method is that with many images on one page their will be a lot of 'social share links' (lot of redundant html code). That could be solved with some javascript functions but I didn't have time to make it that way.

Of course those photo's background and positioning etc. is done with css based on the photo-n class of the containing div.

You might have noticed that every single photo can be shared across the social media. To share a photo instead of the page and to have the social media actually display that photo I setup some logic to add the right meta tags.

{* conditional settings in case called with gallery image parameter *}
{if $smarty.get.img}
<__script__>location.href="#image-{$smarty.get.img}"</__script>
{* call gallery single image so we get IMAGE object *}
{Gallery img=$smarty.get.img}
{$og_image=$image->thumb}
{if !empty($image->title)}{$og_title=$image->title}{else}{$og_title=$title}{/if}
{$og_description=$image->title}
{capture assign='og_url'}{cms_selflink href=$page_alias}?img={$smarty.get.img}{/capture}

<meta name="twitter:card" content="photo" />
<meta name="twitter:site" content="{sitename}" />
<meta name="twitter:title" content="{$og_title}" />
<meta name="twitter:image" content="{root_url}/{$image->file}" />
<meta name="twitter:url" content="{$og_url}" />
{else}
{$og_url={cms_selflink href=$page_alias}}
{$og_image="static/img/wn_facebook.png"}
{$og_title=$title}
{$og_description=$social_description}
{/if}

<meta property="og:image" content="{root_url}/{$og_image}" />
<meta property="og:type" content="article" />
<meta property="og:url" content="{$og_url}" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="{sitename}" />
<meta property="og:locale" content="nl_NL" />
<meta property="og:description" content="{$og_description}" />
<meta property="og:title" content="{$og_title}" />
If the ?img=xx url parameter is used it loads a single image from Gallery. The template for that is completely empty. We just want the $image object to get some properties. Plus Gallery is setup to serve images of 600x315 on 'single image requests'
show_off_gallery_single_template_01.jpg
show_off_gallery_single_template_01.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
show_off_gallery_single_template_02.jpg
With the properties of the image we setup the metatags which are used by some social media sites to display information (others use informations supplied by url parameters or a combination).

$social_description is set in a Global Content Block with wysiwyg turned of simply by:

{$social_description = 'Some very interesting, short text I want to share with all my social media friends.'}
In the very top of the page template(s) I just call this GCB which outputs nothing. It only makes some variables available in the template (like the $social_description)

----------------------------------------------

Cms Version: 1.11.11

Installed Modules:

FormBuilder: 0.8.1.1
Gallery: 2.0.1
CGExtensions: 1.45
GBFilePicker: 1.3.3
CGSmartImage: 1.17.1
ListIt2: 1.4.1
ListIt2XDefs: 1.2
ListIt2Amigos: 1.4.1
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: New site with gallery

Post by elkman »

Nice new site and thank you for the "how to" information. Very helpful!

Elkman

Return to “CMS Show Off”