eWeddingKit.com

Post links to sites running CMS in all its glory.
beejereeno

eWeddingKit.com

Post by beejereeno »

I've been lurking awhile here and found some of you have been using CMS Made Simple for different client web sites. Can you tell me if you just do one DB install and then create separate tables for each client you host? Or how does that work. My new company site eWeddingKit.com will be allowing clients to set up their own site (template driven from my server) and then allowing them access to CMSMS to change their content on the fly. I'm having trouble figuring how I would do this successfully. If I can, I will be bringing this ability to my other web clients to their existing sites.

Thanks for any assistance you could provide in this area :D
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

eWeddingKit.com

Post by Ted »

Easiest thing to do is use a different database prefix for each site.

When you install CMS through the installer, there is an option to change the table prefix. It defaults to cms_, but you can use whatever you want. This allows multiple sites to coexist.

However, if you're going to be running more than 5-10 sites, I would recommend setting up multiple databases, since I'm sure this would cause a strain. Don't take that as concrete, though. I'm not a mysql expert by any means...

It probably would be worth experimenting a little. Or at least looking into some information on mysql performance.

We do a small amount of hosting here at work. It's not our main business, so we're not experts. But, we give a different db for each domain mainly for security sake, but we also have a serious hunch that it will help performance at a sacrifice for disk space.

Hope that helps. :)
beejereeno

eWeddingKit.com

Post by beejereeno »

Okay....something to consider. Thanks much, wishy. :D

Return to “CMS Show Off”