Same URLs and Metadata across all languages ???

This is a FORK of the CMS Made Simple project and is not oficially supported in any way by the CMS Made Simple development team.
jacek

Same URLs and Metadata across all languages ???

Post by jacek »

Hi,

I am testing CMSMS MLE 1.6.6 in order to find out if it would be suitable for my client's multilingual website. The MLE project looks great but I have a couple of questions as I am not sure if the results I am getting are how the MLE works or I haven't configured it correctly.

1. URLs
I  am using internal URL rewriting for pretty URL. As I learned the last string of the URL is build based on the "Page Alias" or if such doesn't exist it's taken from the "Title" of the page. When I change the "Page Alias" in one language it has the effect on all the languages. Simply speaking even if you differentiate the "Page Alias" or "Title" on every language you still get the same URL across all the languages (of course with different "Label URL" eg. DE, ES, EN, and so on). Same if you at some point change this entry on one language it will do it in all other languages too.

2. Page Specific Metadata
Same scenario as above. If you specify it for a page on one language it will have the effect across all languages. Same meta data for this page across all languages.

Is it normal behaviour of MLE or something wrong with my settings?

Regards,
Jacek
Peciura

Re: Same URLs and Metadata across all languages ???

Post by Peciura »

You can not have different  page alias for each language (at least now). To have different page aliases you create different pages (also separate page trees).
Alias by it's origin is a key to a page and does not depend on page content. Will you create different content for every language or will it be automatically translated to other languages (e.g. products, some sort of tables, but not fluent text) depending on variable {$lang}?. If both content and page alias are different - they have nothing common left between them.

For "multilnguall" meta data use {if}{elseif} statmet, e.g.:

Code: Select all

{if $lang=='it_IT'}
   {*italian meta*}
{elseif $lang=='en_US'}
   {*American English meta*}
{/if}
jacek

Re: Same URLs and Metadata across all languages ???

Post by jacek »

Thanks Peciura,

Meta data works fine.

Regarding URLs my content will be different for every language and cannot be automatically translated.

It would be good towards SEO if the URL contained keywords in the destination language rather than the same keywords for all of the languages. That's what I was trying to achieve.

To have different page aliases you create different pages (also separate page trees)
How would this work? I would like to keep the language pages structure as it is in MLE because it's quick to switch between the languages to edit the content. My project is about 3000 pages across 6 languages and to have a separate page for each language sounds like a big thing.

Please let me know if you can think about any other solution to differentiate the URL (using destination language keywords).

Thanks,
Jacek

Return to “[locked] CMSMS MLE fork”