Multilingual site: Switching languages - how to?

This is a FORK of the CMS Made Simple project and is not oficially supported in any way by the CMS Made Simple development team.
chipper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Multilingual site: Switching languages - how to?

Post by chipper »

Hi

I am working on a bilingual site using cmsms 1.1 - one requirement is that it needs to be possible to switch languages at any point e.g clicking on English would bring up the other language eqivalent page - is this possible?

Can I retreive the equivalent page value via a link embedded in each page? I have experimented with creating a udt as suggested in one post thinking that I had found a solution but though this does bring up the name of the page I can't work out how to ceate a link that would go to the other language template. This is the code I used - with thanks to whoever provided it:

global $gCms;
$smarty =& $gCms->GetSmarty();
echo $smarty->get_template_vars('page_id');

And I am using the language tree method of making a bilingual site with 2 main categories for each language brancing off into matching parallel trees

What happens next?

(thanks in advance - head scrambled over this one!)
Last edited by chipper on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alby

Re: Multilingual site: Switching languages - how to?

Post by alby »

chipper wrote: I am working on a bilingual site using cmsms 1.1 - one requirement is that it needs to be possible to switch languages at any point e.g clicking on English would bring up the other language eqivalent page - is this possible?

Can I retreive the equivalent page value via a link embedded in each page? I have experimented with creating a udt as suggested in one post thinking that I had found a solution but though this does bring up the name of the page I can't work out how to ceate a link that would go to the other language template. This is the code I used - with thanks to whoever provided it:

global $gCms;
$smarty =& $gCms->GetSmarty();
echo $smarty->get_template_vars('page_id');

And I am using the language tree method of making a bilingual site with 2 main categories for each language brancing off into matching parallel trees

What happens next?
If you call your "alias" page:  en-alias, it-alias, etc... (for same page but other tree language)
You can switch with:
English - Italiano - ....

or switch to MLE version

Alby
chipper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chipper »

Thanks very much - will try

And I have realised that I missed your post about the revised MLE - have had a try this morning but think I have done something wrong - as I said I am not too experienced with php yet and have worked through your instructions - then tried installing and editing as you suggest. I ran the sql queries etc and install went well until I hit this error:
alby

Post by alby »

chipper wrote: Thanks very much - will try

And I have realised that I missed your post about the revised MLE - have had a try this morning but think I have done something wrong - as I said I am not too experienced with php yet and have worked through your instructions - then tried installing and editing as you suggest. I ran the sql queries etc and install went well until I hit this error:
???

Alby
chipper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chipper »

Oops!

Sorry - hit send before I completed my message and hadn't realised! Noticed I had done something stupid - not setting the languages in the "define" first line for config.lang.php and a couple of other things.

Will persevere and get back to you - but I am a little confused - your release, for a fresh installation, is stand alone isn't it????

And should I be working from this point in the Readme file: - If you have an official release of CMSMS installed, this MLE release would work like a normal official release.

Also am unsure of the meaning of "transform" in this context:
"When you want transform in true MLE:"

Is this an operation I carry out on this version of cmsms.

And am embarassed to ask these questions! Probably show my ignorance!  :-\

Many thanks Alby and sorry again!
Last edited by chipper on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alby

Post by alby »

alby wrote: Will persevere and get back to you - but I am a little confused - your release, for a fresh installation, is stand alone isn't it????

And should I be working from this point in the Readme file: - If you have an official release of CMSMS installed, this MLE release would work like a normal official release.

Also am unsure of the meaning of "transform" in this context:
"When you want transform in true MLE:"
If you don't rename config_lang.php.alby, MLE code isn't active: result, with this distribution, you have exactly a normal CMSMS 1.1.2 monolingual; default is MLE not active.
If you rename then your system think you have a MLE DB (if it's not MLE you have a error!)

If you have a old MLE 1.02 is sufficient edit config_lang.php.alby and replace old config_lang.php.

If not and you want MLE active:
- Transform normal DB in MLE DB. You must apply a few sql queries; see README.FIRST and this post
- Edit and rename config_lang.php.alby to config_lang.php

Alby
Last edited by alby on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chipper »

Thanks again - will give this all a go - properly this time!

Very grateful to you

Regards
Lynne
chipper
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by chipper »

Jeepers! I think I have done it!  ;D

Just need to sort out the menus etc - nothing showing in the Welsh menu but clicking on it brings up the cy version of the page - will crack on

Even more thanks!

Return to “[locked] CMSMS MLE fork”