Designing just with blobs - limitations?

Do something cool with CMS? Show us ...
This board is for 'Answers', and the discussion of answers... Not for questions.
gnolen

Designing just with blobs - limitations?

Post by gnolen »

Yo,

I just wondering if it is alright to just have blobs in the layout..Does this create any limitations preform and bug wise? Is the speed the same do you think?

Because it is really great to design templates with them. And it is then really easy to change for all templates..

Like:

{html_blob name="doc_header"}
{html_blob name="doc_meta"}
{html_blob name="body"}
Something specific for that template
{html_blob name="copyright"}
{html_blob name="body_end"}

So what do you say? Is it alright? Can bugs accure when doing this?

/ Gnolen
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Designing just with blobs - limitations?

Post by Ted »

Definatly an interesting approach.  It shouldn't cause any performance issues, though.
koehler

Post by koehler »

I also thought about it but chickened because of performance. This will ease managing templates a lot.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Performance isn't a problem because html_blobs are only rendered (along with {content}) before smarty caches.  Even if you have 10 html_blobs in a page, it only does all that logic when either: content changes, template changes or anyone of the blobs change.  Assuming, of course, you have cacheing on...
koehler

Post by koehler »

Perfect!
kingfhb

Post by kingfhb »

How about modifying the blob so you can categorize them in the admin, then you could name the categories the same as the page they are on and have multiple blobs per page or category. Kind of a CMS within a CMS.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Wouldn't the multiple content blocks handle that much better?
kingfhb

Post by kingfhb »

wishy wrote: Wouldn't the multiple content blocks handle that much better?
Yes, I am not saying do not use the multiple blobs, I am just saying give them the ability to be categorized. For instance, currently you just have one big list of blobs as you create them... well, say you have 5 that are specific to the "META" tags on the page, you could categorize them into a group named "META TAGS" or content that will be advertisements that you could pre-create and then change out as you wish, then you could put them in an "Advertisements" category... etc. etc. etc.

Hey while you at it, add post and expriation dates to them as well, then you would have the ability to have dynamic content by the date shown. You would also have the ability to manipulate it into a make shift ad-rotator, or date oriented content such as an "On this day in history" type thing. The capabilities are endless!!!

Maybe you could even add a "Random" option to show items from a specific category randomly when that category is selected to be shown. THen you could have a random image, or a random quote, or whatever your blob information is.

Just some ideas.
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nils73 »

Oh ... while talking about META-Tags ... wouldn't it be useful to have at least METAs vor title, keyword and description associated to the page? Or maybe have something in the admin-area, where you could select the METAs you use and then have per page options to insert the META-Tags there and even fill them or have them filled by CMSMS. Just my 0.02 EUR ....

As far as I'm concerned I did a dirty hard-coded hack and now insert META-Tags via Head-Section ... as I said "dirty". ;o)

Regards,
Nils
Tom

Post by Tom »

Why dirty? I thought that is what the Head Tags section is for? Though I am just 1 hour new to the CMSMS. Is there any problem with meta-content in Head Tags?
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Tom's right.  That's what head tags is for.
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nils73 »

Yes, but it messes up the head-section cause usually you (should) have this order

Code: Select all

<head>
  <title>My Title</title>
  <meta name="title" lang="en" xml:lang="en" content="My Title" />
  <meta name="keywords" lang="en" xml:lang="en" content="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3, keyword4" />
  <meta name="description" lang="en" xml:lang="en" content="My own description goes here." />  
  <meta name="DC.format" content="text/html" />
  <meta name="DC.type" scheme="DCTERMS.DCMIType" content="text" />
  <meta name="DC.language" scheme="DCTERMS.RFC1766" content="en" />
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css" />
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="screen.css" />
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
  <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
</head>
instead of at the end of the head section. Of course I could copy the whole head-section each time which would be redundancy but then it would also be a source for errors when a non-webdesigner edits the page. And last but not least this is what content management is for: non-webdesigners editing a page without any knowledge of HTML.

But I do not want to complain ... I have my workaround and things are just fine the way they are. :)

Regards
Nils
Hans
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Hans »

I did it this way: In template I added:

For the sake of speedness I add these when the site is almost finished.
I could make descriptions en keywords based on the text I see in the upper edit-screen.

It works almost okay except there are breaks (br/ > after the last keyword / the last word of the description.

Could anyone point out how to avoid those breaks? If that is possible I find this a good solution.

(I use Tiny MC)

[EDIT] When using fckX there are no problems! Still there is that question: how to avoid the break in TinyMC

Hans
Last edited by Hans on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
amygdela

Post by amygdela »

Wow, i've tried this as well, and it left me with a wrecked template because of som serious parsing problems...

The , , doctype, title etc etc where all gone after placing them in a blob and putting them in my template... even when added the {literal} tags around them... What am I doing wrong?

Return to “Tips and Tricks”