How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS or template for iPhones

Do something cool with CMS? Show us ...
This board is for 'Answers', and the discussion of answers... Not for questions.
ferrer
Forum Members
Forum Members

How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS or template for iPhones

Post by ferrer »

I wanted to serve a custom stylesheet for users visiting my site on their iPhone. I wanted to do this internally in CMSMS. The problem is the iPhone webkit browser identifies itself as a normal browser, not a mobile one, so it wont make use of CSS sheets setup in the admin device for "handheld" as opposed to blackberry type devices that do.

Wiedmann and Nullig helped me in my quest, posting this great bit of smarty code.

Wiedmanns solution below.

1) Add a new stylesheet with e.g. the name "iPhone" and media type "screen" to CMSMS and don't attach this to a template.

2) Put this code in your template instead of just "{stylesheet}":

Code: Select all

{if false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'iphone'}
    {stylesheet name='iPhone' media='screen'}
{else}
    {stylesheet}
{/if}
Last edited by ferrer on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugosnel
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS stylesheet for iPhones

Post by hugosnel »

Very good work!
Can you tell me please how to detect other mobiles and attach appropriate stylesheets?
I'm running CMS Made Simple 1.4. I'm using PHP 4.4.1, and MySQL 5.1.6 This is all working with Apache 2.2.4 running on Linux with Mysql  5.0.27.
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

CSS has a "handheld" media type for handheld displays. You can manage such a CSS within CMSms by checking the appropriate checkbox. Of course it is not iPhone specific.

Pierre M.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS styles

Post by Russ »

If you search Google there is lots of PHP out there to try and divine if a browser belongs to a mobile or not!

However, this is not the problem!

The problem is all these mobile browsers are all very different and support a variety of things. Some do not not support CSS, some do, some only partially. Some have Javascript support, some do not. Some support the 'handheld' stylesheet, some will support it in a specific way, some, like the iPhone, do not support it at all!

Now mix and match these and throw in different screen sizes and mono or colour screens and you have a mess!

So whilst, as devices get better, (e.g. the iPhone,) there is probably no need to alter your site for them, there are many more mobile browsers out there for which you will. My suggestion would be to use the handheld stylesheet, (as a fall back,) in conjunction with PHP browser sensing to provide a largely text based (almost non-CSS) view of your site, (now you know why you should layout your templates properly!)

I would also suggest that you provide some sort of style sheet switching and include one for mobiles! Just in case you do not auto sense it but also because the browser your viewer is using maybe can handle 'desktop' style browsing!

Last but not least, you may well want to cater for specific features of devices, e.g. Google maps support. I leave that last one to you.
hugosnel, there is plenty of stuff on the internet about this. A bit of searching will provide a wealth of information.
Last edited by Russ on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ferrer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ferrer »

I wondered if I could resurrect this thread, and ask if anyone has any idea on how to modify that smarty code to server a different TEMPLATE - to iPhone (or mobile) clients?
Pierre M.

Re: How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS or template for iPhones

Post by Pierre M. »

The initial post demonstrates how to render the same template "another way" depending on the user agent used. There is no template switching but template output switching thanks to {if...} {else} and {/if}. The demonstration is in the header about the stylesheet selection but you can put all the {if}s you want around {content} and the whole things to have the same template behave acordingly to the user agent.

If you want several templates you must have several "pages" (URLs).

Pierre M.
Last edited by Pierre M. on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrg411

Post by jrg411 »

What content should be put in the stylesheet for iPhone?
buzzby
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by buzzby »

i have tried this and i must say i am impressed with it. my site looks totally different on a norrmal browser to my iphone.
http://www.pembrokeshire.ac.uk/esw/ is the site.

this is the code i am using which is the same as what is posted above

{if false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'iphone'}
    {stylesheet name='iPhone' media='screen'}
{else}
    {stylesheet}
{/if}
i have 2 stylesheets in place. one attached to the template while the iphone css is not attached. if you check the site on an iphone you will see that there is a drastic difference. i have even hidden content from the browser so it only shows on the iphone. while this is not generally a practice worth persuing it does show that there is versatility in the coding to cater for different types of content.

i also have another 'if' statement for handheld devices which again can utlise a different stylesheet altogether. id did however find that rather than using a fixed iphone width of 240*320 i decided to make the with 100% and up the size of the fonts. in my desktop browser site the font size is based on 12px while on the iphone its based on 30px - em scales used to increase or decrease font size.

using stylesheet switchers enables me to chuck the content in once (predominantly) and concentrate on css displaying it correctly.

i would be interested to know if anyone has done anything different
Nullig
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Nullig »

I have started using a different method, which you can read here:

http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 520.0.html

Nullig
djkirstyjay
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by djkirstyjay »

I would just like to add my iPhone skin that I have just designed for one of my my sites, www.armadasur.com. Feel free to use it, but if you do I would appreciate the credit left intact.

Obviously you may want to change colours... this one is blue and although I have customised for my site, the basic styles are still pretty generic for the iPhone. It works a treat :D

I have added an extra class, "extras" and added the display:none attribute to it, so that anything I do not want to show, I have just added this class to the div or tag.  :)

It is all done in using percentages & ems for sizes, so works nicely in either portrait or landscape mode. It may also work on other devices, but I've not had chance to test it, as I have an iPhone.

/* iPhone Blue Style for CMSMS by Kirsty Jay - http://www.kirstyjay.com */

body {
   font-size: 2em;
   font-family: "Verdana", Arial, sans serif;
   color: #000;
   background: #213c83 url('style/iphone.png') no-repeat right top;
}

.accessibility,
.accessibility a,
.accessibility a:link,
.accessibility a:active,
.accessibility a:hover {
   color: #fff;
}

.accessibility a:visited {
   color: #ddd;
}

a,
a:link,
a:active,
a:hover {
  color: #213c83;
}

a:visited {
  color: #c00;
}

hr {
visibility: hidden;
 }

div#pagewrapper {
   width: 100%;
}

div#container {
}

div#header {}

.breadcrumbs, .lastitem {
   font-size: 1em;
   color: #cccddd;
}

.lastitem {
   font-weight: bold;
}

div#content {
   border: 1px solid #000111;
   background-color: #eeefff;
   margin: 5px;
   padding: 5px;
}

div#menu_vert li {
   display: inline;
   padding: 0px 5px;

}

div#menu_vert {
   border: 1px solid #aaabbb;
   background-color: #cccddd;

}

.extras, div#menu_vert h2 {
display:none;
}

div#main {}

div#content2 {}

div#news {
   border: 1px dashed #888999;
   background-color: #eeefff;
}

div#footer,
div#footer p,
div#footer p a,
div#footer p a:link,
div#footer p a:active,
div#footer p a:hover {
   text-align:center;
   color: #eeefff;
}

Last edited by djkirstyjay on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

See the apple dev center lots of things on there which I didn't know which are very interesting.

http://developer.apple.com/safari/libra ... index.html

Website Design & Production
http://www.applejack.co.uk
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

@djkirstyjay

I bet if you took all those dead out of the it would show up even better...
djkirstyjay
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by djkirstyjay »

What do you mean? There are no dead tags in the head. I have just checked all the templates. Can you please be a little more specific?
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

=b){nw=b+"px";}if(w

#pagewrapper {width:expression(P7_MinMaxW(720,950));}
#container {height: 1%;}

uniqu3

Re: How to detect useragent and serve a different CSS styles

Post by uniqu3 »

ferrer wrote: I wondered if I could resurrect this thread, and ask if anyone has any idea on how to modify that smarty code to server a different TEMPLATE - to iPhone (or mobile) clients?

The UDT:
I found this somewhere in Italian forum part and working example is http://www.ich-mach-das.at

function mobile_device_detect($iphone=true,$android=true,$opera=true,$blackberry=true,$palm=true,$windows=true,$mobileredirect=false,$desktopredirect=false){

$mobile_browser   = false; // set mobile browser as false till we can prove otherwise
  $user_agent       = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']; // get the user agent value - this should be cleaned to ensure no nefarious input gets executed
  $accept           = $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT']; // get the content accept value - this should be cleaned to ensure no nefarious input gets executed

switch(true){ // using a switch against the following statements which could return true is more efficient than the previous method of using if statements

case (eregi('ipod',$user_agent)||eregi('iphone',$user_agent)); // we find the words iphone or ipod in the user agent
      $mobile_browser = $iphone; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of iphone when calling the function
      if(substr($iphone,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of iphone resemble a url
        $mobileredirect = $iphone; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the iphone value
      } // ends the if for iphone being a url
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on the iphone or ipod

case (eregi('android',$user_agent));  // we find android in the user agent
      $mobile_browser = $android; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of android when calling the function
      if(substr($android,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of android resemble a url
        $mobileredirect = $android; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the android value
      } // ends the if for android being a url
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on android

case (eregi('opera mini',$user_agent)); // we find opera mini in the user agent
      $mobile_browser = $opera; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of opera when calling the function
      if(substr($opera,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of opera resemble a rul
        $mobileredirect = $opera; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the opera value
      } // ends the if for opera being a url 
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on opera

case (eregi('blackberry',$user_agent)); // we find blackberry in the user agent
      $mobile_browser = $blackberry; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of blackberry when calling the function
      if(substr($blackberry,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of blackberry resemble a rul
        $mobileredirect = $blackberry; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the blackberry value
      } // ends the if for blackberry being a url 
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on blackberry

case (preg_match('/(palm os|palm|hiptop|avantgo|plucker|xiino|blazer|elaine)/i',$user_agent)); // we find palm os in the user agent - the i at the end makes it case insensitive
      $mobile_browser = $palm; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of palm when calling the function
      if(substr($palm,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of palm resemble a rul
        $mobileredirect = $palm; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the palm value
      } // ends the if for palm being a url 
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on palm os

case (preg_match('/(windows ce; ppc;|windows ce; smartphone;|windows ce; iemobile)/i',$user_agent)); // we find windows mobile in the user agent - the i at the end makes it case insensitive
      $mobile_browser = $windows; // mobile browser is either true or false depending on the setting of windows when calling the function
      if(substr($windows,0,4)=='http'){ // does the value of windows resemble a rul
        $mobileredirect = $windows; // set the mobile redirect url to the url value stored in the windows value
      } // ends the if for windows being a url 
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on windows

case (preg_match('/(up.browser|up.link|mmp|symbian|smartphone|midp|wap|vodafone|o2|pocket|kindle|mobile|pda|psp|treo)/i',$user_agent)); // check if any of the values listed create a match on the user agent - these are some of the most common terms used in agents to identify them as being mobile devices - the i at the end makes it case insensitive
      $mobile_browser = true; // set mobile browser to true
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've preg_match on the user agent returned true 

case ((strpos($accept,'text/vnd.wap.wml')>0)||(strpos($accept,'application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml')>0)); // is the device showing signs of support for text/vnd.wap.wml or application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml
    break; // break out and skip the rest if we've had a match on the content accept headers

case (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE'])||isset($_SERVER['HTTP_PROFILE'])); // is the device giving us a HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE or HTTP_PROFILE header - only mobile devices would do this
    break; // break out and skip the final step if we've had a return true on the mobile specfic headers

case (in_array(strtolower(substr($user_agent,0,4)),array('1207'=>'1207','3gso'=>'3gso','4thp'=>'4thp','501i'=>'501i','502i'=>'502i','503i'=>'503i','504i'=>'504i','505i'=>'505i','506i'=>'506i','6310'=>'6310','6590'=>'6590','770s'=>'770s','802s'=>'802s','a wa'=>'a wa','acer'=>'acer','acs-'=>'acs-','airn'=>'airn','alav'=>'alav','asus'=>'asus','attw'=>'attw','au-m'=>'au-m','aur '=>'aur ','aus '=>'aus ','abac'=>'abac','acoo'=>'acoo','aiko'=>'aiko','alco'=>'alco','alca'=>'alca','amoi'=>'amoi','anex'=>'anex','anny'=>'anny','anyw'=>'anyw','aptu'=>'aptu','arch'=>'arch','argo'=>'argo','bell'=>'bell','bird'=>'bird','bw-n'=>'bw-n','bw-u'=>'bw-u','beck'=>'beck','benq'=>'benq','bilb'=>'bilb','blac'=>'blac','c55/'=>'c55/','cdm-'=>'cdm-','chtm'=>'chtm','capi'=>'capi','comp'=>'comp','cond'=>'cond','craw'=>'craw','dall'=>'dall','dbte'=>'dbte','dc-s'=>'dc-s','dica'=>'dica','ds-d'=>'ds-d','ds12'=>'ds12','dait'=>'dait','devi'=>'devi','dmob'=>'dmob','doco'=>'doco','dopo'=>'dopo','el49'=>'el49','erk0'=>'erk0','esl8'=>'esl8','ez40'=>'ez40','ez60'=>'ez60','ez70'=>'ez70','ezos'=>'ezos','ezze'=>'ezze','elai'=>'elai','emul'=>'emul','eric'=>'eric','ezwa'=>'ezwa','fake'=>'fake','fly-'=>'fly-','fly_'=>'fly_','g-mo'=>'g-mo','g1 u'=>'g1 u','g560'=>'g560','gf-5'=>'gf-5','grun'=>'grun','gene'=>'gene','go.w'=>'go.w','good'=>'good','grad'=>'grad','hcit'=>'hcit','hd-m'=>'hd-m','hd-p'=>'hd-p','hd-t'=>'hd-t','hei-'=>'hei-','hp i'=>'hp i','hpip'=>'hpip','hs-c'=>'hs-c','htc '=>'htc ','htc-'=>'htc-','htca'=>'htca','htcg'=>'htcg','htcp'=>'htcp','htcs'=>'htcs','htct'=>'htct','htc_'=>'htc_','haie'=>'haie','hita'=>'hita','huaw'=>'huaw','hutc'=>'hutc','i-20'=>'i-20','i-go'=>'i-go','i-ma'=>'i-ma','i230'=>'i230','iac'=>'iac','iac-'=>'iac-','iac/'=>'iac/','ig01'=>'ig01','im1k'=>'im1k','inno'=>'inno','iris'=>'iris','jata'=>'jata','java'=>'java','kddi'=>'kddi','kgt'=>'kgt','kgt/'=>'kgt/','kpt '=>'kpt ','kwc-'=>'kwc-','klon'=>'klon','lexi'=>'lexi','lg g'=>'lg g','lg-a'=>'lg-a','lg-b'=>'lg-b','lg-c'=>'lg-c','lg-d'=>'lg-d','lg-f'=>'lg-f','lg-g'=>'lg-g','lg-k'=>'lg-k','lg-l'=>'lg-l','lg-m'=>'lg-m','lg-o'=>'lg-o','lg-p'=>'lg-p','lg-s'=>'lg-s','lg-t'=>'lg-t','lg-u'=>'lg-u','lg-w'=>'lg-w','lg/k'=>'lg/k','lg/l'=>'lg/l','lg/u'=>'lg/u','lg50'=>'lg50','lg54'=>'lg54','lge-'=>'lge-','lge/'=>'lge/','lynx'=>'lynx','leno'=>'leno','m1-w'=>'m1-w','m3ga'=>'m3ga','m50/'=>'m50/','maui'=>'maui','mc01'=>'mc01','mc21'=>'mc21','mcca'=>'mcca','medi'=>'medi','meri'=>'meri','mio8'=>'mio8','mioa'=>'mioa','mo01'=>'mo01','mo02'=>'mo02','mode'=>'mode','modo'=>'modo','mot '=>'mot ','mot-'=>'mot-','mt50'=>'mt50','mtp1'=>'mtp1','mtv '=>'mtv ','mate'=>'mate','maxo'=>'maxo','merc'=>'merc','mits'=>'mits','mobi'=>'mobi','motv'=>'motv','mozz'=>'mozz','n100'=>'n100','n101'=>'n101','n102'=>'n102','n202'=>'n202','n203'=>'n203','n300'=>'n300','n302'=>'n302','n500'=>'n500','n502'=>'n502','n505'=>'n505','n700'=>'n700','n701'=>'n701','n710'=>'n710','nec-'=>'nec-','nem-'=>'nem-','newg'=>'newg','neon'=>'neon','netf'=>'netf','noki'=>'noki','nzph'=>'nzph','o2 x'=>'o2 x','o2-x'=>'o2-x','opwv'=>'opwv','owg1'=>'owg1','opti'=>'opti','oran'=>'oran','p800'=>'p800','pand'=>'pand','pg-1'=>'pg-1','pg-2'=>'pg-2','pg-3'=>'pg-3','pg-6'=>'pg-6','pg-8'=>'pg-8','pg-c'=>'pg-c','pg13'=>'pg13','phil'=>'phil','pn-2'=>'pn-2','pt-g'=>'pt-g','palm'=>'palm','pana'=>'pana','pire'=>'pire','pock'=>'pock','pose'=>'pose','psio'=>'psio','qa-a'=>'qa-a','qc-2'=>'qc-2','qc-3'=>'qc-3','qc-5'=>'qc-5','qc-7'=>'qc-7','qc07'=>'qc07','qc12'=>'qc12','qc21'=>'qc21','qc32'=>'qc32','qc60'=>'qc60','qci-'=>'qci-','qwap'=>'qwap','qtek'=>'qtek','r380'=>'r380','r600'=>'r600','raks'=>'raks','rim9'=>'rim9','rove'=>'rove','s55/'=>'s55/','sage'=>'sage','sams'=>'sams','sc01'=>'sc01','sch-'=>'sch-','scp-'=>'scp-','sdk/'=>'sdk/','se47'=>'se47','sec-'=>'sec-','sec0'=>'sec0','sec1'=>'sec1','semc'=>'semc','sgh-'=>'sgh-','shar'=>'shar','sie-'=>'sie-','sk-0'=>'sk-0','sl45'=>'sl45','slid'=>'slid','smb3'=>'smb3','smt5'=>'smt5','sp01'=>'sp01','sph-'=>'sph-','spv '=>'spv ','spv-'=>'spv-','sy01'=>'sy01','samm'=>'samm','sany'=>'sany','sava'=>'sava','scoo'=>'scoo','send'=>'send','siem'=>'siem','smar'=>'smar','smit'=>'smit','soft'=>'soft','sony'=>'sony','t-mo'=>'t-mo','t218'=>'t218','t250'=>'t250','t600'=>'t600','t610'=>'t610','t618'=>'t618','tcl-'=>'tcl-','tdg-'=>'tdg-','telm'=>'telm','tim-'=>'tim-','ts70'=>'ts70','tsm-'=>'tsm-','tsm3'=>'tsm3','tsm5'=>'tsm5','tx-9'=>'tx-9','tagt'=>'tagt','talk'=>'talk','teli'=>'teli','topl'=>'topl','tosh'=>'tosh','up.b'=>'up.b','upg1'=>'upg1','utst'=>'utst','v400'=>'v400','v750'=>'v750','veri'=>'veri','vk-v'=>'vk-v','vk40'=>'vk40','vk50'=>'vk50','vk52'=>'vk52','vk53'=>'vk53','vm40'=>'vm40','vx98'=>'vx98','virg'=>'virg','vite'=>'vite','voda'=>'voda','vulc'=>'vulc','w3c '=>'w3c ','w3c-'=>'w3c-','wapj'=>'wapj','wapp'=>'wapp','wapu'=>'wapu','wapm'=>'wapm','wig '=>'wig ','wapi'=>'wapi','wapr'=>'wapr','wapv'=>'wapv','wapy'=>'wapy','wapa'=>'wapa','waps'=>'waps','wapt'=>'wapt','winc'=>'winc','winw'=>'winw','wonu'=>'wonu','x700'=>'x700','xda2'=>'xda2','xdag'=>'xdag','yas-'=>'yas-','your'=>'your','zte-'=>'zte-','zeto'=>'zeto','acs-'=>'acs-','alav'=>'alav','alca'=>'alca','amoi'=>'amoi','aste'=>'aste','audi'=>'audi','avan'=>'avan','benq'=>'benq','bird'=>'bird','blac'=>'blac','blaz'=>'blaz','brew'=>'brew','brvw'=>'brvw','bumb'=>'bumb','ccwa'=>'ccwa','cell'=>'cell','cldc'=>'cldc','cmd-'=>'cmd-','dang'=>'dang','doco'=>'doco','eml2'=>'eml2','eric'=>'eric','fetc'=>'fetc','hipt'=>'hipt','http'=>'http','ibro'=>'ibro','idea'=>'idea','ikom'=>'ikom','inno'=>'inno','ipaq'=>'ipaq','jbro'=>'jbro','jemu'=>'jemu','java'=>'java','jigs'=>'jigs','kddi'=>'kddi','keji'=>'keji','kyoc'=>'kyoc','kyok'=>'kyok','leno'=>'leno','lg-c'=>'lg-c','lg-d'=>'lg-d','lg-g'=>'lg-g','lge-'=>'lge-','libw'=>'libw','m-cr'=>'m-cr','maui'=>'maui','maxo'=>'maxo','midp'=>'midp','mits'=>'mits','mmef'=>'mmef','mobi'=>'mobi','mot-'=>'mot-','moto'=>'moto','mwbp'=>'mwbp','mywa'=>'mywa','nec-'=>'nec-','newt'=>'newt','nok6'=>'nok6','noki'=>'noki','o2im'=>'o2im','opwv'=>'opwv','palm'=>'palm','pana'=>'pana','pant'=>'pant','pdxg'=>'pdxg','phil'=>'phil','play'=>'play','pluc'=>'pluc','port'=>'port','prox'=>'prox','qtek'=>'qtek','qwap'=>'qwap','rozo'=>'rozo','sage'=>'sage','sama'=>'sama','sams'=>'sams','sany'=>'sany','sch-'=>'sch-','sec-'=>'sec-','send'=>'send','seri'=>'seri','sgh-'=>'sgh-','shar'=>'shar','sie-'=>'sie-','siem'=>'siem','smal'=>'smal','smar'=>'smar','sony'=>'sony','sph-'=>'sph-','symb'=>'symb','t-mo'=>'t-mo','teli'=>'teli','tim-'=>'tim-','tosh'=>'tosh','treo'=>'treo','tsm-'=>'tsm-','upg1'=>'upg1','upsi'=>'upsi','vk-v'=>'vk-v','voda'=>'voda','vx52'=>'vx52','vx53'=>'vx53','vx60'=>'vx60','vx61'=>'vx61','vx70'=>'vx70','vx80'=>'vx80','vx81'=>'vx81','vx83'=>'vx83','vx85'=>'vx85','wap-'=>'wap-','wapa'=>'wapa','wapi'=>'wapi','wapp'=>'wapp','wapr'=>'wapr','webc'=>'webc','whit'=>'whit','winw'=>'winw','wmlb'=>'wmlb','xda-'=>'xda-',))); // check against a list of trimmed user agents to see if we find a match
    break; // break even though it's the last statement in the switch so there's nothing to break away from but it seems better to include it than exclude it

} // ends the switch 

// tell adaptation services (transcoders and proxies) to not alter the content based on user agent as it's already being managed by this script
  header('Cache-Control: no-transform'); // http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/setting-http-headers-advise-transcoding-proxies
  header('Vary: User-Agent, Accept'); // http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/setting-http-headers-advise-transcoding-proxies

// if redirect (either the value of the mobile or desktop redirect depending on the value of $mobile_browser) is true redirect else we return the status of $mobile_browser
  if($redirect = ($mobile_browser==true) ? $mobileredirect : $desktopredirect){
    header('Location: '.$redirect); // redirect to the right url for this device
    exit;
  }else{ 
    return $mobile_browser; // will return either true or false 
  }

} // ends function mobile_device_detect

global $gCms;
$smarty = &$gCms->GetSmarty();

$smarty->assign('mobile_detect', false); 
if((mobile_device_detect(true,true,true,true,true,true,false,false))==true)
{ 
   $smarty->assign('mobile_detect', true); 
}
return '';
The Call in Template:

{mobile}
{if $mobile_detect}
markup
{else}
markup
{/if}
otherwise, if you wan't to serve different style for iPhone its enough to use inside the CSS following, and no need for UDT or JS.

@media screen and (max-width: 320px) {
    body {your style }
}

@media screen and (min-width: 321px) and (max-width: 480px) {
    body { your style }
}
Last edited by uniqu3 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”