Hidden Mini Sites

Do something cool with CMS? Show us ...
This board is for 'Answers', and the discussion of answers... Not for questions.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Hidden Mini Sites

Post by calguy1000 »

Hi All

I recently discovered a methodolgy where I can create Hidden mini sites within cmsms with links to them in the menus.

Technique....
  1. Create the new top level content page for your mini site, and make sure to uncheck the "display in menu" checkbox.  be sure to remember the page alias
        (note: you may have to submit the page then go back in and view it again to see the page alias generated, unless you can guess it).  (for example, let's assume this new pages alias is "minisite")
  1.1  - create as many pages as you want as children of this new page
  2. Create a new link in the menu to your new mini site and arrange it properly in your menu
          url="index.php?page=minisite

Advansed stuff
  I  created a new template for my mini-site and adjusted the phpLayers (or other menu tag) in the template as:
  {cms_module module="phpLayers" relative="1"} so it would not display any above level menus.
  then I created new links as children to my "minisite" homepage  that pointed to my main page, and to my login section, etc, etc.  using the technique in step 2 above.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout.

Hope this helps somebody, if you have a question, drop me a line.

Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
westis

Re: Hidden Mini Sites

Post by westis »

Thanks Calguy1000! Sounds like a technique I will be using when I create a web shop. Then the web shop can have its own menu (linked from the main menu), with only a link back to the main site. Will try your method when I get there. :-)
iNSiPiD

Post by iNSiPiD »

I sthe relative="1" parameter available to bulletmenu as well?

If this does what I think it does (allows you to add submenus to pages) then this would be really handy indeed.
westis

Post by westis »

iNSiPiD wrote: I sthe relative="1" parameter available to bulletmenu as well?

If this does what I think it does (allows you to add submenus to pages) then this would be really handy indeed.
If you mean splitting the menu into a horizontal top menu and vertical submenus for each page, then you could use the Ell-Nav module for this. Or that's not what you meant?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

I think the start_element tag is available in the bullet menu.
iNSiPiD wrote: I sthe relative="1" parameter available to bulletmenu as well?

Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
iNSiPiD

Post by iNSiPiD »

No, I like bulletmenu.

What I meant was that you could have a link in your vertical main menu called Publications and then a submenu with all the pages below Publications would appear at the top of the Publications page.

Is this doable with bulletmenu using start_element?

And what about hidden pages?

Return to “Tips and Tricks”