Rebuilding a Site With Standards

Do something cool with CMS? Show us ...
This board is for 'Answers', and the discussion of answers... Not for questions.
Thijs

Post by Thijs »

CMS made simple encourages the use of Cascading Style Sheets. Many webbuilders have long adopted the use of stylesheets, but if you have not yet done so and you are planning to build a website using CMS you might like to start now.

Cascading Style Sheets allows you to separate your web sites design from it's content. All the design elements (colors, fonts, backgrounds, page layout, etc) are stored in a Cascading Style Sheet . All your web pages link to this file to get their design information. If you need to change the design, you only need to edit one file to change the design elements on your entire website. Your site is very flexible. It is easier to create pages and to maintain them. The site is more consistent since all pages get their design information from the same source.

Not only can Cascading Style Sheets be helpful to the web masters, but sometimes they can be beneficial to your users. Users with vision problems can remove your style sheet and replace it with their own style sheet. Their style sheet might enlarge text on the page or change the all text to black and all backgrounds to white. Vision impaired users who use a screen reader to access the web can remove the style sheets altogether. They get the content without a lot of design elements that are unusable to them.

So, where's the tip already? Well, here you can find a good guide to converting your old site to a new, sparkly, CSS based wonder :wink:

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/talks/2002 ... lding.html
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

Greg
Thijs

Post by Thijs »

Greg:

These are some very interesting links! I've read them with interest and I'm sure I will use the knowledge gained (ahum) in my next webpage
rgbernha

Re: Rebuilding a Site With Standards

Post by rgbernha »

Just be sure to test your site in IE, Mozilla (traditional or FireFox), and Opera. I've found that some of the more specialized CSS is interpreted differently between them.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”