Tmpfile() issue upgrading 2.1.6 -> 2.2.2

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
MoustiqueICT

Tmpfile() issue upgrading 2.1.6 -> 2.2.2

Post by MoustiqueICT »

I have tried to upgrade my existing installation of CMS Made Simple 2.1.6 to 2.2.2 but every time the following errormessage gets displayed in step 3:
Checking for working tmpfile()
The system tmpfile() function is not functioning. This is required to allow us to extract archives. The optional TMPDIR url argument can be provided to the installer to specify a writeable directory. See the README file that should be in included in this directory.
I have tried several options:
- making every file and folder writeable
- adding TMPDIR option to installation URL (seems to get ignored)
- adding settings to .htacces to override tmpfile
- renaming .htacces to eliminate this file altogether
- using the expanded installer
- trying to upgrade another 2.1.6 CMSMS installation (on same hosting environment)
- checking the forum for tips and solutions

None of these options worked for me, so if anyone can supply me with tips as to how to solve this, please help me out ;)
MoustiqueICT

Re: Tmpfile() issue upgrading 2.1.6 -> 2.2.2

Post by MoustiqueICT »

I just go word from the hostingcompany and the tmpfile() function does not function correctly, so they acknowledge.
So that leaves the TMPDIR option as indicated in the installation README.TXT, but that does not seem to work the way I add this to the URL.
<domain>/cmsms-2.2-install.php?TMPDIR=/absolute/path
What would be the correct way of doing this and how can I check that this option is accepted by the installer?

The only thing I can think of now if the installer option does not work is to install version 2.1.6 locally, do a restore from the site there, try to upgrade to 2.2.2. and then upload to the original site again, but that seems a bit laborious, especially since I want to upgrade several sites.

Any tips are appreciated!
pschoenb
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pschoenb »

I have a similar issue with 2.2.3.1.
Regards,
Patrick
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

The Installation Assistant contains an archive of all of the core files. It uses the Phar libraries to extract that archive in step 7.

The Phar libraries require a valid and working system temporary directory in order to work.

The installation assistant allows specifying a temporary directory on the URL in step 1. i.e.: http://site.com/path/cmsms-2.2.3.1-inst ... olute/path.

If you do that, then... if that path is writable AND the system temporary directory is not set or not writable THEN installation assistant will attempt to set an environment variable to override the system temporary directory. However, some environments do not allow using putenv either.

This all happens before the first step of the wizard is executed.

Step 3 of the wizard just tells you that there is an issue.

Now. If your system is completely hosed in this matter, the first thing I would think about doing is changing hosts.

After that, you could try adjusting the php.ini to set the sys_temp_dir config variable to a writable location. What file to edit depends on your environment.

Or, you could side-load the CMSMS install (copying a working CMSMS installation from another host).

But... I would hazard a guess that if your host is that restricted, and unwilling to assist you to allow installing a well-known application you're going to have further problems down the road.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”