How to change the default logo to my own

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
robinsky

How to change the default logo to my own

Post by robinsky »

Hi, this is my second ever posted question. I hope it is the right place.

Having installed I would like to see how CMS Made Simple works. I have the default template (simplex for the front page) and I would like to change the logo to my own. Its a kind of 'Hello World' modification to have a first experience and help learn to use the product.

My confusion is still at a conceptual level. I have seen lots of people ask this question about how to change the logo and I don't understand the answers.

I'm sure this is just because of the steep learning curve, and it is me not getting it.

Forum answers vary from 'read the wiki and tell us what you don't understand' to 'edit the template file so it points to your image file instead of the default one'.

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you. I'm just not getting it.

I don't know how to find the wiki. I have scoured the documentation but can find only extensive descriptions of the design policy and strategy for the product, and a collection of low level code editing examples. It feels like I need to know the answer to the question before consulting the documentation, to know which section to read. I can read how to manually edit a Template file, but is that what I should be trying to do?

I uploaded an image using the built in file manager, but the file doesn't get put in the same directory as the system default logo image. How do I find the path to these uploaded files? Do I have to manually copy files into the CMS Made Simple directory structure using the Linux OS?

Please explain at a conceptual level, how does someone change the logo on the home page?

If someone could point me to the manual, wiki, documentation, help pages that explain this level of question that would be great, thank you.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: How to change the default logo to my own

Post by DIGI3 »

I think this is more of a question of "How Content Management Systems work" or "How do I learn HTML and CSS?". Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're not just new at CMSMS, but new at web development altogether.

If you have a good understanding of HTML & CSS, it should be a fairly simple matter of looking at the template you're using, finding the code that relates to said logo, and changing it to point to the path where you uploaded your own. While you're in there, look through the template line by line, and try to figure out what each line does. Most of the default templates have some basic inline documentation, but it's all aimed at experienced web developers, which are who CMSMS is designed for.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
robinsky

Post by robinsky »

I solved it myself by editing the template file. Which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Thank you to everyone who read my post and was polite enough not to point out that sometimes I learn things really slowly.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

robinsky wrote:I solved it myself by editing the template file.
In case you are talking about Admin template files:
http://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/customizi ... -templates
http://www.cmscanbesimple.org/blog/cust ... king-files
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”