Basic Install Help

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
stew

Basic Install Help

Post by stew »

Hi, I've just found CMS Made Simple and want to try this out, first locally and later online. I like results posted in this forum. I am computer literate but never tried installing a CMS.

Is there a basic install document? I quickly looked through the download and did not see any documentation but I could have missed it.

Most CMS systems require PHP, MySQL and the content management system. Is that true here? If so, are PHP and MySQL just set for default values or do they need to be groomed before installing the CMS?

As you can see I'm a newbie to CMS. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
Jope

Basic Install Help

Post by Jope »

Hello!

CMS Made Simple is very "Simple" to install. Upload all the files in the folder to your website. CHMOD 777 the folders listed in the install file.

Run install.php and go through the steps, when its done delete install.php, upgrade.php, and upgrades folder.

I will be on IRC if you need anymore help.

Enjoy using Cms Made Simple! :D
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Basic Install Help

Post by Ted »

CMS Made Simple is designed to work pretty much out of the box on any standard PHP and MySQL install. No special grooming is required. We have many installs who use "shared" environments where they only get one DB per account and have never had any problems.

Let us know if you need any more specifics about the installation process, though we hope it's as straightforward as it can be.

wishy
stew

Should this setup work?

Post by stew »

First thanks for your replies. Please see if this makes sense?

To try this out I can make a basic install on WindowsXP Pro. I'd download and install Apache, MySql and PHP to default directories. Is any particular order required? What kind of setup should I make to these files. And finally I would install CMS Made Sinple?

I could also install at my provider who has Apache, MySql and PHP. Is this an easier setup? Can this be done without root access?

Thanks in advance for additional input.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Should this setup work?

Post by Ted »

stew wrote:First thanks for your replies. Please see if this makes sense?

To try this out I can make a basic install on WindowsXP Pro. I'd download and install Apache, MySql and PHP to default directories. Is any particular order required? What kind of setup should I make to these files. And finally I would install CMS Made Sinple?

I could also install at my provider who has Apache, MySql and PHP. Is this an easier setup? Can this be done without root access?

Thanks in advance for additional input.
Hey,

Personally, I would start with your provider's account. Setting up mysql and php is pretty trivial, but I'm not so sure about apache. I've never done it personally on XP, so I can't say for sure. I would assume you would do mysql, then apache, then php...

Using your provider's account would be a lot easier. Doesn't really require much setup that way. You just need to be able to modify some permissions via FTP. No root access required.

Let me know if you need anything else...

wishy
vicksm

Another basic install question

Post by vicksm »

Hi, I'm really new to CMS, and I have a very basic question. I have just downloaded version 0.6.3 this morning. Does it matter where the files are initially uploaded to the site? Do I need to establish a separate folder?

I note Jope's response previously, but I'm afraid the last sentence means nothing to me! "CMS Made Simple is very "Simple" to install. Upload all the files in the folder to your website. CHMOD 777 the folders listed in the install file."

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Vicky
Thijs

Basic Install Help

Post by Thijs »

If you want to try it locally,

consider using a WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) package.

I had CMS running within the hour using this one:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php
Thijs

Basic Install Help

Post by Thijs »

CHMOD is a UNIX command allowing you to change read/write/execute permissions. A lot about installing web applications has been written.
You could have a look at:

http://www.php-scripts.com/php_diary/030301.php3
vicksm

Basic Install Help

Post by vicksm »

Thank you so much! Really helpful link. I've finally got everything installed. CHMOD finally is a meaningful word to me... Now I'm just struggling on the implementation of it, but I'll get there in the end!

Thanks for your posting.

Vicky
Thijs

Basic Install Help

Post by Thijs »

:D Glad it helped! Let us know if you've build a site with CMS. We love to see how CMS is put to use.
vicksm

Basic Install Help

Post by vicksm »

Hi Thijs, I'm using it for an existing website: http://www.vw-oldskool-ac.co.uk so that the owners can implement changes themselves. I'll let you know how I get on!

Vicky

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”