Need to move CMSMS site to new domain, advice please

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
wilse
Forum Members
Forum Members

Need to move CMSMS site to new domain, advice please

Post by wilse »

Hi Chaps

I've practically finished my first CMSMS site. I have used a few modules: Showtime Slideshow, Gallery and Fancybox.

The site is currently in 1.8.2. The clients' domain is also with the same host as my ??? current test site, so I'm hopeful there will be no changes on paths etc.

I will be need to move the site, to the clients domain name in the next few days, what is the 'proper' way to move this site?

Are there any do's and don'ts I need to know about?

Cheers

wilse
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Need to move CMSMS site to new domain, advice please

Post by Wishbone »

Clear the cache in the admin panel. Copy the files over to the new host. Dump the database to a file, and upload it to the new database. Open config.php and change all references to the domain and paths of the old account. Change database info if necessary. If using a .htaccess file, change the RewriteBase if necessary.
wilse
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wilse »

Cheers for that, will give it a try and report back.

w
FirstGateDreamer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: switching hosts and upgrading CMSMS. Advice please.

Post by FirstGateDreamer »

I have a similar question regarding switching hosts.I am switching hosts because I need to upgrade and my old host didn't support a high enough version of PHP.

I am wondering what the best approach is.

1- Should I just install a fresh, latest version of CMSMS (and include all the latest addons) and then just copy over the database?

2- Or should I copy over all the old files and database and then do the upgrade at the new host/server?
(if #2, how do I properly copy all the files? I notice when I try to backup all the files via PHP it doesn't let me copy some of the files.)

3- a better way???

PS: I'm not all that familiar with using PHPmyAdmin. Luckily I've got a few courses lined up in a few weeks from now on PHP and MySQL.
wilse
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wilse »

FGD you are in a similar place to me...

I'm first going to try using the DB I currently have, hopefully get it working then run any updates.

IF that doesn't work, then I'll upload a new install and overwrite the files needed [sounds more complex :o ]

As for the php malarkey, you will find phpMyAdmin quite straight-forward [for simple things] a friend showed me how to do the basics, so if you have a course lined up you should sail through it.

My host allows me to do a back-up through their cpanel system.
I had used a different CMS system before that also used these 'temp' files as mentioned is this post. When I had move that site, it was these files that caused the problems.
As mentioned by wishbone, delete these files, before you back up etc. Could this be the problem you had?

I've had some changes to do on my site, so the move has been put back, I'll post here once I've done it. It may help other noobs, like myself.

w
FirstGateDreamer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by FirstGateDreamer »

well I bit the bullet and it was easier than I thought it would be.

I just copied over all my files via ftp and created a database backup with the MySQLDump module. I then created a database over on the new host with their cPanel and linked them back up. Once I got things working as they were I just upgraded which was also super simple.

cheers
r.

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”