Installation of 2.x.x

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
kennethls

Installation of 2.x.x

Post by kennethls »

I have 10+ sites running with CMSMS - and I love... Now the problem... My hostingprovider does not support phar for some stupid reason.... Could you please release a version "the old way" ? It kind of sucks that I can't use it :-[

What was wrong with old installation setup?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Installation of 2.x.x

Post by calguy1000 »

The old installation had serious problems that we had to deal with and dealt with numerous times in the forums.

Some of the biggest ones were:
- You couldn't tell if your server was likely to be compatible with the new system until overwriting your existing installation. If it was not... you had to roll back from backup.
- FTP sucks/blows goats/bites for transferring large amounts of files and was problematic.
- Repairing an installation was problematic.

So yes... the installation assistant is different now. And it uses phar. Because the phar technology is 'THE' accepted standard way of dealing with archives in PHP. It is a standard part of PHP. There really are no other alternatives that are guaranteed to work.

The self contained installation assistant is also a phar file because it allows shipping an entire application as a single PHP file.

Phar is widely used in the PHP world, and it's not just CMSMS that uses it. anything that uses composer, or symfony, or phpdoc, or many other applications use phar.

Good hosts have a control panel that will allow you to switch PHP versions, and one of those may include phar. Only one host I know of has refused in any way to enable the phar libraries or to work past these problems.

At the end of the day, it is your host's responsibility to accommodate you with respect to supporting this technology. You actually pay them money. If they do not support phar, or other newer technologies, and don't want to change I suggest you change host. it's probably a sign that you will encounter other problems as well.

I do not see us donating our time to revising the old installer or writing another solution for a small handful of troublesome hosts.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Installation of 2.x.x

Post by DIGI3 »

Plus, if you switch to one of our hosting partners, you help support future development. It's a win win! :)
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”